MachineGhost's Research Resort

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: MachineGhost's Research Resort

Post by Kbg »

MachineGhost wrote:Okay, buddy, since 1969 a 2x PP would have returned 17.66% CAGR and -38.04% MaxDD. This assumes exactly 2x returns is possible and 10% rebalancing bands are used and checked on a yearly basis in January so you're avoiding the worst of the MaxDD event.

So not quite a doubling since MaxDD growth isn't typically linear. Are your balls still brassy?

P.S. The above may not be entirely accurate as you can't double the 1yr T-Bill returns AFAIK. Without the cash, 15.56% CAGR and -39.22% MaxDD.
For a CTA, those figures would be world class for such a long period of time...not to mention it completely clocked 100% equities. Look, this is definitely not grandma's retirement portfolio. Never claimed it was.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Poo on the leveraged PP!

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

jay

Post by jay »

MachineGhost wrote:Okay, buddy, since 1969 a 2x PP would have returned 17.66% CAGR and -38.04% MaxDD. This assumes exactly 2x returns is possible and 10% rebalancing bands are used and checked on a yearly basis in January so you're avoiding the worst of the MaxDD event.

So not quite a doubling since MaxDD growth isn't typically linear. Are your balls still brassy?

P.S. The above may not be entirely accurate as you can't double the 1yr T-Bill returns AFAIK. Without the cash, 15.56% CAGR and -39.22% MaxDD.
MG, great research. Thanks for sharing your work.

I am doing a bit of back-testing myself and wondering where one can find 2X stocks/bonds/gold data that does back to 1969. Did you synthesize it yourself?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

jay wrote:I am doing a bit of back-testing myself and wondering where one can find 2X stocks/bonds/gold data that does back to 1969. Did you synthesize it yourself?
No, all I did was doubled the CAGR and MaxDD since it was the same whether or not you used 2:1 margin or no margin and doubled. Futures would have been similar in $ returns but not %.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Thanks to dutchtraffic for indirectly referencing these new study results.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »