Forum Crash...

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum Crash...

Post by iwealth »

MachineGhost wrote: No way.  All of the other ones suck donkey balls are a confusing mess to use and navigate!  Serious overkill that will turn off n00bs.

I still think its worth changing webhost providers to a business with better infrastructure instead of rinky dink Arvixe.  May I suggest https://www.bluehost.com/ ?  $3.95-$6.95 a month and they will migrate the whole enchilada for you for $99.
I'll +1 Bluehost.com. Very likely to get good service there as well. They have a referral program that pays $65 per referred customer, so if anyone here has an affiliate account with them perhaps that $65 can be donated back into the hosting fund.

Definitely time to ditch Arvixe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bluehost support team can figure out why this keeps happening.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

Donations are really really really not needed.

This forum can run profitable extremely easy with some adsense on it and using a good unmanaged vps setup properly, get something from Digitalocean for example, their stuff just works (fast) and is cheap.

ps: picking bluehost will likely cause this whole process to repeat itself (i've seen some very bad cases), all those companies are more of the same, don't get an oversold shared hosting package for something like this.
Last edited by dutchtraffic on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Yes. Why not employ a little capitalism here? Unless MT or craigr is actually Bernie Sanders in disguise?
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

craigr wrote: Sometimes the site exhausts the entry processes available (50 out of 50).
Oh wow, yes that is obviously the reason where things go wrong.

Really, it should never happen again if you get a proper vps and stay away from standard shared webhosting with crazy restrictions.

If you know how to setup and optimize(<-this can be huge) a server yourself, Digitalocean is a good choice, but you have to do everything yourself then, otherwise spend a little more for a proper managed vps if you don't want to deal with updates or don't know how to set this up.

As for servercosts, there shouldn't be any really, just drop some adsense blocks on it to cover it.
4x4
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by 4x4 »

dragoncar wrote: Timing of forum crashes is suspicious.  Anyone have a chart?
This cracked me up!

I am willing to donate my 0.02, don't go with any shared hosting. As mentioned above they are often oversold.  Even when not, if only one of the people sharing gets a significant increase in traffic your site will also have issues.  We are intelligent people discussing important topics to our happiness.  Please do it right, get a dedicated set up, they really aren't expensive and ads can make it even less so with minimal effort.  I have been involved with setting up and managing a forum site up in the past, am happy to help if needed.

One final point, I have heard that financial website's, always a favorite target for hackers, have become even more targeted of late.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I believe that it has something to do with global warming.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

If anyone would like to assist in making the website run more smoothly, please consider deleting old PM messages from your PM inbox and sent items.

These can pile up more than you would think.  I have 22 pages in my inbox and 16 pages in my sent items.

Thanks!
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

MediumTex wrote: If anyone would like to assist in making the website run more smoothly, please consider deleting old PM messages from your PM inbox and sent items.

These can pile up more than you would think.  I have 22 pages in my inbox and 16 pages in my sent items.

Thanks!
Will do!
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I suggest everyone turn off saving a copy of whatever is sent to the sentbox.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Gameknot.com is a chess site I have been using free for 8 years.

Gameknot.com does have paying advertisers, including Toyota and Tripadvisor.com.  There are specials on Toyota cars this month, apparently.  This is a serious chess site, like our forum.

I can play 12 games free but with less access than monthly subscribers and that's OK with me.  These monthly subscriptions are for various levels of privileges.  Many players pay monthly fees starting at $6.99 monthly on up to $89.90 per year.  Lotsa people are subscribing, too.

Gameknot.com has not crashed when I've used it.  They even sell coffee mugs and, I think T-shirts and hats.

Finally, during the day from 1300 to 2000 are signed in.  Prime time sees 2200-2300 members checked in.  Hope this helps.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

I have eliminated 3 of 13 pages of messages, so far.  I expect to eliminate another 8 or 9 pages in the next week.

Is there a way to delete messages selectively?  I'd like to save 6 or 7 messages.

Thanks.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

bedraggled wrote: I have eliminated 3 of 13 pages of messages, so far.  I expect to eliminate another 8 or 9 pages in the next week.

Is there a way to delete messages selectively?  I'd like to save 6 or 7 messages.
Check the ones you don't want and hit the 'remove selected' button in the lower right corner. I have dumped a bunch of crap, er, insightful PMs from my messages. Between us, bedraggled and I were probably gumming up the works enough to bring down the forum.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Droll.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I took all of barrett's loving PM's to me and chiseled them into rock before deleting them from my account.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

I have eliminated 8 pages from my inbox.

Who's done better?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

bedraggled wrote: I have eliminated 8 pages from my inbox.

Who's done better?
I've eliminated all of my messages from bedraggled!

Just kidding, Kevin - I've thoroughly enjoyed our correspondence.
Mark
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Mark,

I've saved all yours.  That South Dakota info will be very useful.

Ireland and Eastern Europe in late August.  Can a person live in Ireland if there are no hot springs.

Just saw a Youtube clip on the hot springs in Budapest.  Looking forward to the trip.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

I just reduced my inbox of PMs from 13 pages to 3 pages.

Any other stories out there?
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

pug,

I'll do that when my wife shows me how.

Remember, I have 2 rotary phones and long for the 20th century.

Cheers!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

I will try to shrink my PMs to 2 pages in the next week.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Keep your PMs if you want to.  It's no big deal.  I was just suggesting that people might want to prune them if they didn't realize how many they had in their inbox and sent items.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

OK Thanks
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

TIL there's an active shadow board via PMs that I need to get in on!  :)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Tyler wrote: TIL there's an active shadow board via PMs that I need to get in on!  :)
Me too.  I hardly ever get PMs.