No where to hide

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No where to hide

Post by barrett » Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 am

We need a place on this forum to dump threads that no longer have anything to do with the subject line. Maybe something like "Morphed Threads." I think most of what is usually referred to as hijacking is just the conversation drifting toward whatever is of interest to people. But I do like to be able to click on something and have the current discussion have at least something to do with the subject.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri May 15, 2015 7:21 am

barrett wrote: We need a place on this forum to dump threads that no longer have anything to do with the subject line. Maybe something like "Morphed Threads." I think most of what is usually referred to as hijacking is just the conversation drifting toward whatever is of interest to people. But I do like to be able to click on something and have the current discussion have at least something to do with the subject.
While in theory not a bad idea, it would require a lot of work on the part of the admins. Plus, who gets to decide when the conversation is far enough off topic to change the title and move it elsewhere? What we need is some government intervention here. ;D

I used to get irritated when threads that I started went in directions other than where I was thinking when I started them, but I came to realize that it was not something I could control, so I made peace with it. The conversations here are just too awesome.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri May 15, 2015 7:25 am

Cortopassi wrote: Seem to be quite a lot of these days lately.  Looks like any 2015 gains I had are now gone.  Gold to the woodshed, yet again, even after another delay in rate hikes.  It can't win.
So... Where are we? Who's on first?
Stewardship
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Stewardship » Fri May 15, 2015 10:15 am

Apologies for the conversation drift.  I'll start a new thread if I want to discuss the different possible options for sewage  ;D

Where were we?  Oh yes, treatment options for those who have trouble coping with the PP's daily volatility.  SSRI's are popular.  Just be cautious about the suicide risk.
In a world of ever-increasing financial intangibility and government imposition, I tend to expect otherwise.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:27 am

Stewardship wrote: Apologies for the conversation drift.  I'll start a new thread if I want to discuss the different possible options for sewage  ;D

Where were we?  Oh yes, treatment options for those who have trouble coping with the PP's daily volatility.  SSRI's are popular.  Just be cautious about the suicide risk.
Don't apologize. If we all apologized for a meandering thread, then I've got about 50 threads that got turned into monetary system debates to go back and apologize for. ;)
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 am

Yeah, I think the PP was just in the sewer for a spell. You guys were probably not that far off topic. Carry on!
AnotherSwede

Post by AnotherSwede » Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm

What's with government and traffic lights?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFOo3e0nxSI
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm

AnotherSwede wrote: What's with government and traffic lights?
OMG CHAOS!!!!!!!!!! Don't you see! We need more CONTROL! Spontaneous order from chaos is an impossible, non-existent concept! Without a central authority we'll all be doooooooooooomed! Never mind that it appears to be working… it's just a ruse designed to lull you into a false sense of complacency! Soon there will be unspeakable, unimaginable calamities!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 15, 2015 1:23 pm

AnotherSwede wrote: What's with government and traffic lights?
LMAO

watch out!! the government may be on their way to your house right now for posting links to subversive videos...
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri May 15, 2015 1:37 pm

We've all been at an intersection where the power is off and the lights are blinking red or off.  I will agree that most times, you can actually get through faster. 

But this was two different days, and you don't know if there was an accident one day out of camerashot or if NZ traffic is radically different on Mon vs. Tues.  As well, all it takes is one person not familiar with the area, or not paying attention, to blow through and cause an accident.

When I have my self driving car, I am all for traffic lights going away...
Test of the signature line
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri May 15, 2015 1:39 pm

It might also be that the power being out led to a lot of people not going to work.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri May 15, 2015 2:33 pm

moda and stewardship,

Apologies have recently been discussed in "Best PLaces to Retire."  This makes perfect sense to me.  That was the big issue in the New Zealand conversation.  You might wish to take your apology stuff there.  The thread is, surprisingly, in "Other Discussions." 

Will our thread on the Manhattan meet, which went well,  be demoted to a general listing?  I do not know how to do this.  Nor do I know how to use the "buddy" feature.

Any help?
Last edited by bedraggled on Fri May 15, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.