Uncharted Waters?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Uncharted Waters?

Post by ochotona »

9 mm, .22LR, 12 ga shotshells. Good barter material.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

barrett wrote: That's a very good point. Let's also remember that the long-term expected return of salt is zero. It could over-perform in certain baking conditions but it's basically just a chuck of white stuff that pays no dividends
Unlike salt which is critical to stay alive and thus endears a positive return over time, a shiny lump of gold has no use at all.  None!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

MachineGhost wrote: Unlike salt which is critical to stay alive and thus endears a positive return over time, a shiny lump of gold has no use at all.  None!
EdwardjK
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by EdwardjK »

Of all the uncertainty and concern n the world, the greatest is the Federal Reserve and its foreign counterparts who are forcing interest rates to near zero, and likely manipulating currency values and rates.

How this all ends may be very frightening.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Red all across the board today, all four components. What a PITA.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

ochotona wrote: Red all across the board today, all four components. What a PITA.
Get used to it...the portfolio lets you down constantly.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I guess risks are more correlated than we think
buddtholomew wrote:
ochotona wrote: Red all across the board today, all four components. What a PITA.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Gee, but if you just step back a little bit, gold, stocks, and bonds are all up since Jan 1, and the portfolio as a whole is up 1.5% in the first 6 weeks of 2015.  What's the problem?  You guys are like teenage girls constantly clicking on the latest news about the Kardashians.

If you want a little homework, check out the performance of the PP since 1/1/2000 versus any other portfolio.  How do they stack up?
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

stuper1 wrote: Gee, but if you just step back a little bit, gold, stocks, and bonds are all up since Jan 1, and the portfolio as a whole is up 1.5% in the first 6 weeks of 2015.  What's the problem?  You guys are like teenage girls constantly clicking on the latest news about the Kardashians.

If you want a little homework, check out the performance of the PP since 1/1/2000 versus any other portfolio.  How do they stack up?
I'm more interested in portfolio performance 2010-2020. Plus, did you even see what Becky was wearing?  Omg
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

That makes no sense.  Cash cannot go down in real terms if the other three are.  It is the unit of account.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

You're right we have the attention spans of gnats. Too much going on in my life, the stress spills out elsewhere.
stuper1 wrote: What's the problem?  You guys are like teenage girls constantly clicking on the latest news about the Kardashians.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I'm the resident worrier don't you know?

Car broke down on the freeway this morning. Have to let loose somewhere...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

ST Bond Fund, not real Cash.
MachineGhost wrote: That makes no sense.  Cash cannot go down in real terms if the other three are.  It is the unit of account.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

ochotona wrote: ST Bond Fund, not real Cash.
MachineGhost wrote: That makes no sense.  Cash cannot go down in real terms if the other three are.  It is the unit of account.
So what's with the top posting?  It's jarring, mostly because nobody else does it.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Xan wrote:
ochotona wrote: ST Bond Fund, not real Cash.
So what's with the top posting?  It's jarring, mostly because nobody else does it.

Better than interior posting.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I know we talk about not looking.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I don't check my PP daily or even weekly.  Sometimes for whatever reason I'll take a look.  I will say "damn, I wonder what's dropping?"  Or, "Hey, good deal!"  Then what?  Nothing, that's what.  It has trended up over the longer term for me, so I am comfortable with it.

The bad part of this is that I gave up a hobby that I enjoyed.  But it is for the best.  Although, I seem to have replaced it with arguing politics in the basement here. :/
Stay free, my friends.
sapperleader

Post by sapperleader »

I will say that since I added the variable portion of our portfolio that I rarely look at what the assets are doing :)  We ran the numbers in January to see how good 2014 was to us for both halves of our portfolio, but fluctuations within a month or six are complete noise.  I also say this with having just re balanced down some of our bonds and stocks :)
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

ochotona wrote: I guess risks are more correlated than we think
buddtholomew wrote:
The PP does not include assets that are negatively correlated - it includes assets that each react in a predictable fashion to specific long term economic conditions, each increase over time, and are all close to uncorrelated.  If the 3 volatile assets were exactly uncorrelated it would mean that the 8 possible daily fluctuations (up-up-up, up-up-down, up-down-up, etc.) would all be equally probable.  This means you would expect all three of the volatile assets to go down (or up) about 1 out of 8 days.  Of course, stocks, long term bonds, and gold aren't exactly uncorrelated - but they're pretty darn close, see http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/harry.htm .
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Boy, if this QE bubble lasts much longer, all of the gains since the start vs S&P500 will turn negative.  What a shame the stock picking skills are top notch.

[img width=800]http://i61.tinypic.com/2qm2494.jpg[/img]
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.