PP Today

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP Today

Post by goodasgold »

I know we should ignore day-to-day results, but the PP today is a shocker.

As the old song goes:

"Mama said there'd be days like this
There'd by days like this, Mama said
CHORUS: '"Mama said, Mama said!'
Mama said there'd be days like this,
There'd be days like this, my Mama said"

??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :( :'(
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: PP Today

Post by Cortopassi »

Hah!  I started the PP in Mar 2014, got 4.04% return through Dec 31, and then doubled that late last month, in less than a month.  I should have known that was a bit too much to expect short term.

Looks like today will be a trifecta of big losers, stocks, gold and bonds.  At least that good old American dollar is still hanging in there!

Mike
Test of the signature line
mortalpawn

Post by mortalpawn »

No need to panic.  The down day Friday was due in part to some one-off events:
  - Gold crashed (along with silver and platinum) because the CME raised margin requirements for everything but stocks (an administrative move - likely in response to oil and overall market volatility)
  - This is something they like to do to beat down commodities, but its not a real shift in the gold market - just people covering the higher margin requirements
  - Stocks started the day up on the jobs report numbers, but then fell due to the Greek mess at the end of the day
  - Treasuries are correcting after hitting all time highs (low yields) that are unsustainable - if you look at the raw data treasuries peaked after an almost 30% runup in the last year.  They are overdue for a correction especially when we are facing a Fed interest hike potentially as early as summer.

I would not be surprised to see treasuries or stocks come down soon, but honestly I'm not great at predicting the future - only the past.

One thing I will predict is higher volatility in the markets - I think the swings are going to get larger before one of these bubbles (stock, bond?) pop.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

mortalpawn wrote:   - Gold crashed (along with silver and platinum) because the CME raised margin requirements for everything but stocks (an administrative move - likely in response to oil and overall market volatility)
I guess it was no more of a real shift than when they last raised margin requirements....  in 2011.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!