modified pp + open blog about it

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cyclesguy

modified pp + open blog about it

Post by Cyclesguy »

Hey all I've created a Google finance account that approximates my modified permanent  portfolio and am getting started with a blog and YouTube channel about investing.

I've followed the markets with a passion about 3 years mostly in precious metals. I jumped into the pp waters this year, it was nerve wracking deploying 6 figures into the stock and bond market at once, unthinkable previously as a gold bull but I believe this a more rational sustainable way to invest, you all are on to something. This is also after doing some market timing in past years so we'll see how far I can go with the pp and the ups and downs from this start point.

Hope I don't get flamed for owning mining shares as a distinct allocation but I believe we're in a commodities super cycle. When that ends I'd hopefully have rebalanced so much of the mining stocks off, and exit  to a pure 25%x 4 purist pp strategy.

Hope someone learns something from my experiences!

cyclesguy.blogspot.com

First pp post: http://cyclesguy.blogspot.ca/2014/05/op ... e.html?m=1
Jake

Re: modified pp + open blog about it

Post by Jake »

Welcome, cyclesguy!

Have you considered treating your mining shares as your variable portfolio rather than modifying your PP? The end result would be the same for now, but going forward your choice to trade mining shares would be independent of the rebalancing you do within the PP.
Cyclesguy

Re: modified pp + open blog about it

Post by Cyclesguy »

Jake thanks for the tip- that makes total sense.  I've shuffled things accordingly and like the idea of a pp + VP much better! It might save me from stealing from the pp to rebalance my miners if there's another downturn (save me from myself?)  :o