Whitepaper by R. Ferri & A. Benke (2013) - Compares Index Portfolios v. Managed

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

BP

Whitepaper by R. Ferri & A. Benke (2013) - Compares Index Portfolios v. Managed

Post by BP »

You likely already intuitively reached the same conclusion, but this provides some evidence.

"The success of index investing in individual asset class categories has been widely documented; however, surprisingly little research is available that compares the performance of diversified portfolios of index funds with portfolios of actively managed funds."

http://www.rickferri.com/books-by-rick- ... whitepaper
I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, or physician.  My posts are not advice of any type and should not be construed as such.  My posts are used at the sole risk of the reader.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Whitepaper by R. Ferri & A. Benke (2013) - Compares Index Portfolios v. Managed

Post by Libertarian666 »

Rick Ferri may be a smart guy but when it comes to gold he has a major blind spot. So I take anything he says with several grains of salt.
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Whitepaper by R. Ferri & A. Benke (2013) - Compares Index Portfolios v. Managed

Post by rocketdog »

Libertarian666 wrote: Rick Ferri may be a smart guy but when it comes to gold he has a major blind spot. So I take anything he says with several grains of salt.
Lots of otherwise experienced and intelligent people have blind spots in regards to gold.  Here are a few of them:

"Gold is a speculation.  It has absolutely no underlying intrinsic value."
- John Bogle

"Gold may glitter, but that doesn’t make it a good investment. Here’s my advice: Put gold in your jewelry box if you like, but leave it out of your portfolio."
- Paul Merriman

"It's hard to beat a solid gold piece of jewelry as a gift. And if you want to escape a country in turmoil with closed borders, a gift of a few ounces of gold will work wonders.  However, I don't believe gold holds much appeal as an investment today."
- Lewis Altfest

"Civilized people don’t buy gold."
- Charlie Munger
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blackomen »

Libertarian666 wrote: Rick Ferri may be a smart guy but when it comes to gold he has a major blind spot. So I take anything he says with several grains of salt.
So?  I'm about halfway done reading his entire blog and it seems he and Craig or Harry Browne would agree on many things..  except maybe gold.