General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP thread at Bogleheads

Post by AdamA »

Pointedstick wrote:
You and me both. I suspect that this is a LOT more common than often admitted.
And me.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

MediumTex wrote: I love you guys.

I feel really blessed to have a group of people who care about me enough to riff on my nickname.
In that event, I should add that I attended my high school prom wearing a Medium Tux. 

Hello?  Is this thing on? 

(cue cricket sound effect)
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Just remember Median Tex is neither average nor mean.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

One thing that would take a lot of excitement out of Americans' guts when rallies occurred is if the market, like the bond market, earnings rates were quoted instead of prices.

If every news station would state, "the historical 1-year earnings yield on the s&p 500 dropped from 5.1% to 5%, today," imagine the collective shrug... And maybe even a little disappointed at how little they might be yielding going forward.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Agree totally!  and even worse there are all these brilliant headlines:  "Record Highs for the Dow!!!!"

It sounds great until you realize all that means is that the stock market has finally made you some money.  Maybe people need to hear that their savings account is at a "record high" each month because of the little bit of interest that piled up.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

moda0306 wrote: One thing that would take a lot of excitement out of Americans' guts when rallies occurred is if the market, like the bond market, earnings rates were quoted instead of prices.

If every news station would state, "the historical 1-year earnings yield on the s&p 500 dropped from 5.1% to 5%, today," imagine the collective shrug... And maybe even a little disappointed at how little they might be yielding going forward.
Stocks and other investments are the one product people prefer to buy when the price is high and sell when they go on sale. :)

I've got some friends in the business. they say whenever stocks go on a real hot streak their clients will all call up and want to buy in....late.

If someone looked at it like you suggest....waiting to buy when earnings yields go up......they would do a lot better.