Permanent Portfolio 2013 Results.

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Permanent Portfolio 2013 Results.

Post by craigr »

I posted a summary of this year's results. Looks like around -2.4% for the year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324133 ... 3-results/

In the face of the largest gold market decline in 30 years along with a bond decline, I'm OK with this little of a loss. I remind myself that a year after a loss is often followed by a better year as things settle out. As an investor for some time, I'm also aware that I can't win every year. I just want to avoid really big catastrophic losses if I can. So in this sense, the Permanent Portfolio's diversification is still working for my own goals.

Have a Happy New Year!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Permanent Portfolio 2013 Results.

Post by MediumTex »

Only a 2.4% loss?

Wow.  That really is very impressive, given that based upon the day-to-day posts here it often felt like the wheels had completely fallen off of the PP.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
ns2

Post by ns2 »

When reading the pros and cons of the PP before adopting it a few years ago the major contrary argument seemed to be that the impressive performance over the last decade or so was due to the price of gold and that this was destined to come to an end when the price came back to earth.

Well, I guess that happened this year and if this is the worse hit the PP takes in such a scenario then it buoys my confidence.

Having said that, I do hope we see a repeat of the pattern of good performance following a negative year as I honestly don't think I have the stomach for two negative years in a row.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

MediumTex wrote: Only a 2.4% loss?

Wow.  That really is very impressive, given that based upon the day-to-day posts here it often felt like the wheels had completely fallen off of the PP.
A reasonable PP investor would agree with your comment if looking at the PP in isolation. When comparing the annual PP returns to a 60/40 SPY/BND allocation, the results are less impressive. The latter returned 14.2% in 2013 for a difference of 16.6%

During the 2008 time frame, the PP returned 1.5% and the 60/40 allocation -22.1% for a net difference of 23.6%

If we praise the PP for its stellar performance in 2008 when compared to a traditional 60/40 allocation, then we should scrutinize the 2013 returns using the same benchmark.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

buddtholomew wrote: A reasonable PP investor would agree with your comment if looking at the PP in isolation. When comparing the annual PP returns to a 60/40 SPY/BND allocation, the results are less impressive. The latter returned 14.2% in 2013 for a difference of 11.8%
You mean 16.6%
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Kshartle wrote:
buddtholomew wrote: A reasonable PP investor would agree with your comment if looking at the PP in isolation. When comparing the annual PP returns to a 60/40 SPY/BND allocation, the results are less impressive. The latter returned 14.2% in 2013 for a difference of 11.8%
You mean 16.6%
Yes, duh! Thanks, I'll update the original post.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

buddtholomew wrote:
Kshartle wrote:
You mean 16.6%
Yes, duh! Thanks, I'll update the original post.
NP. It happens!
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

craigr wrote: I posted a summary of this year's results. Looks like around -2.4% for the year:

What are the 2013 results in real as opposed to nominal dollars?
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

goodasgold wrote:
craigr wrote: I posted a summary of this year's results. Looks like around -2.4% for the year:

Depends on what you think inflation is. The CPI is up what...1.2% YTD?

M2 is up according to the FED by 4.2% YTD as of 12/16 and M1 is up 8.2%
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

Kshartle wrote:
goodasgold wrote:
craigr wrote:

Depends on what you think inflation is. The CPI is up what...1.2% YTD?

Thanks. CPI is what I look at. M2 And M1 are beyond my knowledge to evaluate.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

goodasgold wrote:
Kshartle wrote:
goodasgold wrote: Depends on what you think inflation is. The CPI is up what...1.2% YTD?

Thanks. CPI is what I look at. M2 And M1 are beyond my knowledge to evaluate.
See I think those are easy because they are objective. What the heck is the CPI supposed to represent? Why does the computation method change so often?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Kshartle wrote: See I think those are easy because they are objective. What the heck is the CPI supposed to represent? Why does the computation method change so often?
It's supposed to measure the change in prices, not the composition or size of the money supply.

I don't know about you all, but the prices I pay for things didn't increase by 4.2% or 8.2% during 2013.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Pointedstick wrote:
Kshartle wrote: See I think those are easy because they are objective. What the heck is the CPI supposed to represent? Why does the computation method change so often?
It's supposed to measure the change in prices, not the composition or size of the money supply.

I don't know about you all, but the prices I pay for things didn't increase by 4.2% or 8.2% during 2013.
Maybe not the price of gold....but stocks, housing, food, healthcare, education all sure did.
brownehead
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brownehead »

As I said in the blog, if you check again 2013 returns in morningstar the results are a bit better
Cartera Permanente para un mundo incerto
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

MediumTex wrote: Only a 2.4% loss?

The 2.4% assumes that the portfolio's asset allocation was perfectly even at the start of 2013.  Mine had already drifted by then, was heavier in stocks and lighter in gold.  When I calculated my return, I found that the portfolio was down only 0.6%.

Pretty amazing considering the gold crash.  If this is what the PP does when there's a major downturn in one of the assets, then I am not at all regretting going this route.  Admittedly, I'd be a lot happier if I'd started a few years earlier, though.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

My own PP was -1.6%.  It is not pure PP but it's a reasonable facsimile thereof.  I guess I can deal with that performance.  When I see my SP500 index fund gained 32%, that hurts.  Still, I feel the same as Craig. 
Stay free, my friends.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Looks like the PP is up +0.3% YTD for 2014, for a projected annualized gain of 113%!

;D
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Kshartle wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I don't know about you all, but the prices I pay for things didn't increase by 4.2% or 8.2% during 2013.
Maybe not the price of gold....but stocks, housing, food, healthcare, education all sure did.
+1

Plus, Amazon increased their free-shipping-minimum from $25 to $35 in 2013 :'(
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Tortoise wrote:
Kshartle wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I don't know about you all, but the prices I pay for things didn't increase by 4.2% or 8.2% during 2013.
+1

Plus, Amazon increased their free-shipping-minimum from $25 to $35 in 2013 :'(
I think the big mac went up by 6.5% also :)

Now I realize this is only one sandwich.......but I suspect it doesn't go up while everything else stays the same. Probably all fast food went up by a similar amount unless the special sauce is truly as unique and special as it tastes.
frommi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frommi »

Kshartle wrote: I think the big mac went up by 6.5% also :)

Now I realize this is only one sandwich.......but I suspect it doesn't go up while everything else stays the same. Probably all fast food went up by a similar amount unless the special sauce is truly as unique and special as it tastes.
Thats called pricing power and is one reason MCD can raise their profits faster than inflation. KO and a lot of other consumer stocks with great brands like PG,CL or UL have this kind of pricing power.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

frommi wrote:
Kshartle wrote: I think the big mac went up by 6.5% also :)

Thats called pricing power and is one reason MCD can raise their profits faster than inflation. KO and a lot of other consumer stocks with great brands like PG,CL or UL have this kind of pricing power.
You really think they can raise their prices faster than competitors and help profits rather than hurt them?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I also have my 3 yr return: 3.7%.
My 5 year is 7.9%, and that will get a nice boost after this February, when 5 years earlier the market stopped crashing and turned upward.
However, my 5 year portfolio did not begin as a PP.  I converted 4.x years ago.

3.7% for 3 years seems rather anemic.  Has anyone else got a 3 year number?
Stay free, my friends.
frommi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frommi »

Kshartle wrote: You really think they can raise their prices faster than competitors and help profits rather than hurt them?
Yes. Do you buy Pepsi instead of Coke because its 3 cent cheaper?
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

frommi wrote:
Kshartle wrote: You really think they can raise their prices faster than competitors and help profits rather than hurt them?
Yes. Do you buy Pepsi instead of Coke because its 3 cent cheaper?
Sometimes I even buy RC cola for a lot less.

This isn't the point though. My point is McDonalds should be able to charge a premium over other equivilant burgers because of branding, but above that fixed premium they can't raise prices at a faster rate than competitors without losing market share. They can't raise the price of a burger by $2 everytime the competition raises by $1 because at some point their branding premium is all used up. They should already be maximizing it or be very very close...they aren't dumb.

Maybe we can see how the big mac price increase compares to the other burger and fast food joints although I'm not too interested. I know the Whopper jr. went from $1 to $1.20 last year.....a 20% increase after staying at a buck for several years. It's also pitiful now. There is a BK across from my company and we occasionally drop in for a quick getaway at lunch. The "value" burgers seem extremely pitiful now.
frommi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frommi »

Sorry for derailing this thread.  :)

My €-PP ended in August/September @-5%, after rebalancing 100% into my VP i was up +5% alltogether at the end of the year.  ;D
And i am up YTD in 2014 +0.4% in €.