Variable Annuity as part of PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Variable Annuity as part of PP

Post by portart »

HB said it could be appropriate in some cases to allocate a portion of your portfolio in an annuity for some guaranteed income. I bought one back in 2009 for a third of my money. It grows 7% a year compounded off the top line (not what you cash it in for but the amount that is used for computation of your yearly income). I bought it for $750k and now it's computation value is close to $1.1 so, as an example, if I decided to start taking income now, it would be 55K a year. This means in 15 years the principle would be gone but you continue to collect it until death. Considering PP hasn't grown in three years, it's an area where I see some positive income growth. I was wondering if this was a good move or not since everyone trashes annuities. I would never do with all my money since there would not be money left to transfer to heirs.  If I add SS to this, will have $75 to $80k a year before having to tap into cashing in PP in the retirement acct. I am 65 right now so I am projecting starting this next year.
Last edited by portart on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Variable Annuity as part of PP

Post by dualstow »

I take it you meant to make the topic title "...as part of VP" ?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

portart wrote: Considering PP hasn't grown in three years [...]
Are you sure about that?

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=PRPF ... =undefined;

Check this chart of PRPFX from to 2011 to 2013
Last edited by portart on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

If you have a portfolio heavy with income (annuity and social security), does it make sense to stay with a conservative 4X25 PP with the rest of your money?
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

portart wrote: HB said it could be appropriate in some cases to allocate a portion of your portfolio in an annuity for some guaranteed income. I bought one back in 2009 for a third of my money. It grows 7% a year compounded off the top line (not what you cash it in for but the amount that is used for computation of your yearly income). I bought it for $750k and now it's computation value is close to $1.1 so, as an example, if I decided to start taking income now, it would be 55K a year. This means in 15 years the principle would be gone but you continue to collect it until death. Considering PP hasn't grown in three years, it's an area where I see some positive income growth. I was wondering if this was a good move or not since everyone trashes annuities. I would never do with all my money since there would not be money left to transfer to heirs.  If I add SS to this, will have $75 to $80k a year before having to tap into cashing in PP in the retirement acct. I am 65 right now so I am projecting starting this next year.
An annuity is a good idea provided it is only a portion of your overall assets, you pick a great insurance company the first time (that is likely to be around for the rest of your life, maybe another 40years) so you won't be tempted to squander assets through switching companies, and you are aware of the different types of annuities and their potential limitations along with their benefits.  I think lots of the criticism about annuities was related to people not  abiding by all that, plus investing in them without the net worth to justify them (as in, they invested their entire savings of $7000 in an annuity at the age of 40 because cousin Jake's brother-in-law is an insurance agent and said it was okay).

I suspect that Harry Browne might have considered an annuity as something like a late life income stream--sort of what a salary would be for those of us younger than retirement age, but without the job-related work.  As such it would not be part if the PP, but like real estate (which also produces an income stream) might be considered part of a well-organized and well-planned VP.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

portart wrote: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=PRPF ... =undefined;

Check this chart of PRPFX from to 2011 to 2013
PRPFX is not the PP. It's a high-expense mutual fund that roughly approximates an older version of the PP that's partially out of date (due to the swiss francs) and optimized for inflation (due to the higher precious metals exposure and reduction in long bonds). I would never own PRPFX, especially if I was close to retirement, because then I would lose the ability to make withdrawals from cash--one of the key benefits of the PP.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

Are you saying you wouldn't own any part of your portfolio in PRPFX. Up until 2011, it was the number one mutual fund out of all of them. Of course now it's been flat and it's five star rating has be dropped to four. As some point, who knows when, inflation and commodity stocks will again make a push.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

portart wrote: Are you saying you wouldn't own any part of your portfolio in PRPFX. Up until 2011, it was the number one mutual fund out of all of them. Of course now it's been flat and it's five star rating has be dropped to four. As some point, who knows when, inflation and commodity stocks will again make a push.
Correct. I have never and would never own PRPFX. I can build the portfolio myself for a much lower cost and use the cash as my emergency fund before retirement. Add in the warts of the fund (swiss francs, stock picking, not a lot of long bonds) and I just don't see any really compelling reason to own it besides simple convenience.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I have a Swiss franc fixed annuity as a significant part of my portfolio. It pays a minimum of least 2% annually, which didn't sound like much when I bought it but is pretty nice now!
I'm not planning to start drawing from it until I have to, at least in this interest rate environment.