Stock portion of PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stock portion of PP

Post by portart »

HB says you should invest in the most aggressive stock allocation for your stock portion of your PP to get the greatest juice out it when stock are moving. Perhaps that is why my PP didn't move this year as the stock portion couldn't overcome the losses in gold and bonds. I am using VTI which is tracking ETF of all stocks. Hardly the most aggressive for of stock investing. The question then is there a ETF, such as double S&P which would be more suitable for the stock portion of PP?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stock portion of PP

Post by Pointedstick »

I am planning to sell off stocks in my taxable PP soon to help pay for a large purchase and plan to replace it with VBR (small-cap value).
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Would VBR do better in an updraft and worse in a downdraft, which may be coming?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Probably. But that's the point, isn't it? ;)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Pointedstick wrote: I am planning to sell off stocks in my taxable PP soon to help pay for a large purchase and plan to replace it with VBR (small-cap value).
S&P Mid Cap 400 SPDRS or MDY might work also.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Just be aware that if you do this there will probably be times where VTI or SPY outperform VBR, even during bull markets like what happened with the "nifty fifty" in the 1970's.  Some people might have a hard time dealing with that.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Pointedstick wrote: I am planning to sell off stocks in my taxable PP soon to help pay for a large purchase and plan to replace it with VBR (small-cap value).
Pointedstick have you been able to back test this for 10 years or so?  I would be interested in knowing what you think the improved return would be.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Desert wrote:
What percent of your stock allocation will you put in small cap value? 

For even more fun (and volatility), you could add some emerging markets equity.
Also add EDV!  The big allocation might be 10% Cash, 30 VBR, 30% EDV, 30 GTU when a discount is there.  And some emerging market depending or your cash needs. 
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I have several PPs in separate accounts, so using small-caps instead of a total market fund will be in only one of them, sort of as an experiment.

As for the backtest, here's one:

Interestingly enough, in my backtests with the SCV-PP, the one thing I've discovered that is absolutely fatal to the portfolio is cash dipping below 15% and triggering a rebalance during the first year of withdrawals in 1972. Every single simulation with that factor caused the portfolio to rapidly fail. Even very high withdrawal rates (6-7%) backtested fine as long as the first rebalance was either a few years out or involved another asset breaking 35%.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Pointedstick wrote: I have several PPs in separate accounts, so using small-caps instead of a total market fund will be in only one of them, sort of as an experiment.

As for the backtest, here's one:

Interestingly enough, in my backtests with the SCV-PP, the one thing I've discovered that is absolutely fatal to the portfolio is cash dipping below 15% and triggering a rebalance during the first year of withdrawals in 1972. Every single simulation with that factor caused the portfolio to rapidly fail. Even very high withdrawal rates (6-7%) backtested fine as long as the first rebalance was either a few years out or involved another asset breaking 35%.
What is the improved CAGR?  Normal pp 9.4% vs ?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

modeljc wrote: What is the improved CAGR?  Normal pp 9.4% vs ?
My spreadsheet says 10.61%. Which lines up pretty well with the backtest you can do at riskcog.com:

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

I briefly considered adding some SCV to the PP. From what I remember, VBR is more of a midcap fund. Does this bug you? Or is it just the best of several imperfect solutions?
You know how I feel about handouts...cash is much more flexible, hell, cash is king!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Vanguard claims thusly:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... IntExt=INT

Product summary
ETF facts
• Seeks to track the performance of the CRSP US Small Cap Value Index, which measures the investment return of small-capitalization value stocks.
• Provides a convenient way to match the performance of a diversified group of small value companies.
• Follows a passively managed, full-replication approach.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
cnh

Post by cnh »

Worth a look: 10% small cap value index, 10% REIT, 10% emerging markets index, 25% long-term treasuries, 25% t-bills and 20% gold.  During 1972-2012, CAGR is 10.64% (versus 9.17% for 4X25 HBPP); SDEV, 7.57 (versus 7.76); worst year, -5.08% (versus -5.17%); and Sharpe Ratio, 0.74 (versus 0.53).
Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Pointedstick wrote: Vanguard claims thusly:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... IntExt=INT

Product summary
ETF facts
• Seeks to track the performance of the CRSP US Small Cap Value Index, which measures the investment return of small-capitalization value stocks.
• Provides a convenient way to match the performance of a diversified group of small value companies.
• Follows a passively managed, full-replication approach.
I should have been more clear, according to morningstar VBR is around 41% midcap and has a average market cap north of 2 billion.

Compared with IJS that has something like 4-5% in midcaps and a average market cap around half of vbr.
You know how I feel about handouts...cash is much more flexible, hell, cash is king!