Copyright and the Permanent Portfolio

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Indices
Executive Member
Executive Member

Copyright and the Permanent Portfolio

Post by Indices »

I'd like to write and self publish books on finance at some point, and I'd like to discuss the permanent portfolio. Is that legal? Is discussion of the permanent portfolio owned by the estate of Harry Browne? I'd obviously cite that it was his creation, but I think this portfolio should be more well known. Right now only a small group of people know about it.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Copyright and the Permanent Portfolio

Post by craigr »

I have no idea about copyright issues. Harry Browne's widow and I have exchanged e-mails in the past and she was always very happy that his ideas are being carried on and shared by so many.
Pres

Post by Pres »

Indices wrote: I'd like to write and self publish books on finance at some point, and I'd like to discuss the permanent portfolio. Is that legal? Is discussion of the permanent portfolio owned by the estate of Harry Browne? I'd obviously cite that it was his creation, but I think this portfolio should be more well known. Right now only a small group of people know about it.
I suppose there's no problem if you discuss the concept without plagiarising his work.
pplooker

Post by pplooker »

The phrase "Fair Use" springs to mind.  I hate to say it but... lawyer up.
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

Disclaimer: since this is a business matter and you're apprehensive, it would be wise to consult an intellectual property attorney, and I'm not one.

That being said, the spirit of copyright is that you can copyright written documents and other media, but cannot copyright concepts or procedures.  So the fundamental idea of the PP, and basic procedures for implementing it, would be fair game.  However you shouldn't copy text straight out of Browne's books since those are copyrighted.  Ethically I think you should cite Browne since these are his original ideas.

Also keep in mind that copyright enforcement is left up to the holder.  If someone breaks the rules it is up to the holder to pursue it legally; there is no copyright police.  So if you did something that is technically not allowed, but Browne's widow approves of it, you may not have any problem in practical terms.

Still, if it were me I'd pay for a few hours' legal research and a patent search.