Traditional 60/40 and PRPFX

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Traditional 60/40 and PRPFX

Post by buddtholomew »

Current AA is 60/40 distributed across 401K and IRA accounts. PRPFX comprises 15% of this mix and is the only non FI investment maintained in a taxable account. The amount is too large in comparison to the balance of the portfolio to exclude from AA calculations.

75% of the fixed income holdings are in an Intermediate-Term Bond index, 15% in TIPS and 10% in a Limited-Term Tax-Exempt municipal fund. I am considering exchanging the muni fund for PRPFX in taxable, replacing 10% of IT Bond Index and all of TIPS for a Stable Value and Short-Term Investment Grade bond fund respectively.

The main objectives are to counterbalance bond duration after exchanging the muni fund for PRPFX and replace TIPS with a Short-Term investment grade fund.

An alternative approach would be to replace TIPS with PRPFX in tax-deferred as well. What do others think of this strategy?

Best,
Budd
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Traditional 60/40 and PRPFX

Post by buddtholomew »

Are others replacing tax-exempt municipal bonds or cash holdings with PRPFX in a taxable account? I am contemplating switching VG Limited-Term TE for PRPFX to restore AA to 65/35 from 60/40.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

I exchanged my tax-exempt Vanguard muni bond funds for the relative safety of VG short-term treasury and some VG intermediate-term treasury. These two funds are really a mix of my PP cash holdings and my emergency fund. Actually am over-allocated on the cash front, so I ventured into the intermediate term treasuries...
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I still have munis as part of my vP. Following Harry's advice, I call it money I'm willing to lose and can afford to lose.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.