Partial DCA

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Partial DCA

Post by foglifter »

I couldn't figure out the perfect subject for my post - to make it self-explanatory I'd have to put the whole question in. ;)

My question is not about DCAing into PP from zero, but rather about adding new money into PP on an ongoing basis in the accumulation phase. My current PP is scattered over 401(k), SEP-IRA and 2 Roth IRAs. As you can guess each of the accounts has its specifics in terms of contribution limits. As to SEP-IRA, it is a one off as I can't calculate the exact maximum contribution until the tax time since it depends on the net revenue.

Here's  a high-level structure of my PP in terms of asset placement:
Stocks - 401(k)
Cash - 401(k)
Bonds - IRA and 401(k)
Gold - IRA

In my 401(k) I've been putting new money into stocks and bonds twice a month. In the IRAs I usually purchase 1-2 times a year  since the contributions are smaller than in 401(k) and to save on the transaction costs. Somehow I never thought about it before but... is this OK to DCA into 2 of the PP buckets 24 times a year and fill the other buckets much less frequently? Should I just accumulate my monthly contributions in a money-market fund in 401(k) and invest them along with the new IRA money once or twice a year? Or perhaps it'd better to consider buying opportunities and direct new money accordingly?

Thanks!
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud