Retired at 66 with substantial portfolio

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

tim47

Re: Retired at 66 with substantial portfolio

Post by tim47 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your generous support, advice, coaching, informing etc. My wife and I just returned from a family Easter outing, and we really enjoyed reading your posts. We both are clear that years and years of experience and knowledge were passed on to us over the weekend, and we greatly appreciate it.

BTW, MT was spot on, although a bit exaggerated in his numbers. And yes, posting numbers are very risky and stupid.

I am reading the book and I have shared various points and charts with my wife.  As MG suggested, she thinks this market is totally unpredictable and never experienced before, and therefore fears a supstantial loss in the near (3-5 years) that will impact her more than myself.  Basically, since the Tech Boom, I have invested in a small collection of the lowest votility (short and long term) Junk and HiYield Bond mutual funds, taking action when any hit their 30 Day MovAvg. A 6% loss in 2008 really spooked her. I have had a decent and smooth ride with this formula. She is not attached to SPLVX since it is a tactical investment. She eats and appreciates pork!!!!  She is totally happy with a low six figure $ portfolio that she can trade stocks she hears about with no accounting to anyone!!!!

Honestly, I think she would prefer what I have been doing (with more monitoring since I am retired)  than try a new horse at 66. I continue to remind her that the Bond Donkey we used was nearly blind and is not really suitable for the future.

She likes the idea of using more cash in the allocation and looking at less volitile allocations as many of you suggested. She is smart and tough, as evidenced by her breaking the Glass Ceiling at one of the largest US defense companies where she was the first female CEO and President of one of their Subsidaries.

I need to digest your posts now.  Thanks again for all your support.
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm

tim47 wrote: I am a newbie trying to persuade my wife to move into a more passive asset allocation. She fears the HBPP is to volatile to move into at this stage of our lives.
That's funny -- I consider the HBPP to be too conservative for me with 15+ years to go until retirement!  I'm looking to shift my retirement funds into the PP as I approach retirement, to minimize volatility.  I'm keeping most of the volatility in my VP. 

Keep a portion of your funds in a VP and tell your wife not to worry so much about the PP side of things. 
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Tim:

I think that the more you study the PP,the more you'll appreciate its conservative bent.
Playing the bond funds is going to get more risky going forward.
Best of luck in your planning.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm

tim47 wrote: She is totally happy with a low six figure $ portfolio that she can trade stocks she hears about with no accounting to anyone!!!!
Well, you did say she wanted an adventurous retirement.
She is smart and tough, as evidenced by her breaking the Glass Ceiling at one of the largest US defense companies where she was the first female CEO and President of one of their Subsidaries.
Wow, it seems like there are a lot of women at the helm of defense co's. Phebe Novakovic at General Dynamics,  Marilyn Hewson at Lockheed...
Cool.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years