Anyone appreciate CRAIGR?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Anyone appreciate CRAIGR?

Post by modeljc »

I do!  In just one WORD he got it right!  For Craigr his bogey was 3%-4%.  WOW!  I have never known what I wanted out of investments. But the word BOGEY set my mind on REAL RETURNS and I do appreciate it so much. 
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anyone appreciate CRAIGR?

Post by craigr »

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate Harry Browne and his crew for coming up with the idea. They deserve the credit, I just write about it so the concept sticks around and doesn't fade into obscurity. I also appreciate my co-author Mike "MediumTex" Lawson. Finally, I appreciate the internet community for all the interesting discussions about these ideas through the years!
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB »

I'm pretty sure I first heard of the PP because of Craig on Bogleheads around the 2008 time frame. I didn't completely implement it for a while but I started the framework of using some gold and some LTTs and I also started kicking the tires for a while.

So if it wasn't for Craig, I likely wouldn't have heard of the PP until around 2010 when PRPFX got so much publicity and if that was the first time I heard about it, I'd likely have dismissed it as recency bias, lucky manager, etc.

But, since I did hear about it first in 2008 and watched it outperform over the years and I did listen to all of the Harry Browne financial podcasts (which I believe I first downloaded off Craig's blogsite about 3 or 4 years ago), it really solidified itself in my mind.

So thanks to Craig and MT! :)
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melveyr »

The epic bogleheads thread is what got me started on the PP. I had already been exploring gold and Treasuries because of the low correlation to equities, but I lacked a framework for using them in a disciplined fashion.

When I saw that Craig and MT had much more thoughtful responses than the critics, I decided it was worth further exploration.
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Me, as well.

Would it hurt to revive it?
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

I can't thank Craig and MT enough for all they've done. As many of you I first ran into the historic "The PP thread" on BH after spending countless days agonizing over slicing-n-dicing the BH-style portfolio. I also had hard time with understanding gold and LTTs.

Now I'm trying to spread the word whenever there is a chance!

P.S. Getting to know Harry Browne's works had good side effect on me - I got a better understanding of libertarian ideas and found some of them quite attractive.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud