Move from Vanguard to Schwab?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

amdda01

Move from Vanguard to Schwab?

Post by amdda01 »

Anyone selling their entire Vanguard portfolio and moving to Schwab to save on expenses?
  • VTI: .06%
  • SCHB: .04%
  • VFIRX: .10%
  • SCHB: .08%
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Move from Vanguard to Schwab?

Post by notsheigetz »

Will definitely look into this when I get around to making my yearly adjustments in a few weeks.

I use VTI but not VFIRX. Been using SHY but it's even higher than both at .15

(P.S. - Did you make a typo on the second SCHB? I'm thinking you meant something else.)
amdda01 wrote: Anyone selling their entire Vanguard portfolio and moving to Schwab to save on expenses?
  • VTI: .06%
  • SCHB: .04%
  • VFIRX: .10%
  • SCHB: .08%
Last edited by notsheigetz on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space available for rent.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

You'd need a pretty big holding to make that move worthwhile.

Never mind taxes owed, assuming you're talking taxable acct.

Heck, if you were'nt invested yesterday (while funds are in transition), when market moved up 2.5%...it would take YEARS (DECADES?) at the lower ER just to break even.
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

Our IRA accounts are already at Schwab, so I've got several Schwab funds between my PP and VP.  But I put my wife into Vanguard's funds, since they have the longer track record, plus I like the idea of hedging our bets a little.  The difference in expenses isn't significant, but I can rebalance the Schwab funds for free so if they perform as well as (or better than) the Vanguard funds then I'll probably shift her over to the Schwab funds at some point.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Diversification in brokerages as well as fund families is a really good thing, and probably worth way more than 2 basis points.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Also don't forget SCHB might have higher bid/ask spreads than Vanguard so if you trade more you lose out more.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius