Important News: A New Permanent Portfolio Book Is On The Way!

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Alanw
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Important News: A New Permanent Portfolio Book Is On The Way!

Post by Alanw »

dualstow wrote:
Freedom_Found wrote: But I've been building up the stocks and cash parts of the PP, so that would actually be great. I know there's always a "but" .....  but.....at this time it just really seems that gold and TLT have been runup, and it's really hard to purposely ignore my "spidey sense" and purchase large quantities of these assets right now.
How about today?
Coming to terms with the fact that we cannot predict the future is one of the most difficult tasks in the investment education process.  Today provides a valuable lesson.  Remarkable gains for the PP today.
beafet

Post by beafet »

Do you have a title yet?
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Of course! :)

We'll talk more about it in the very near future.
alvinroast

Post by alvinroast »

If it's not too late I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.

First, one thing that I've noticed I don't have in common with many people in the forum is that my portfolio is only about 1/3 in taxable. Many of the objections I hear to specific strategies seem to focus on the tax issues. The tax issues are not as important to me at this time and while I hate taxes I'm trying hard to not let that drive my investment decisions. Having some discussion geared toward those investing outside taxable accounts would be nice. I've noticed that the rebalancing discussion is often focused on avoiding taxes first and then on performance. The risk management part of rebalancing is often neglected IMO.

Second, I've really learned not to trust gurus in general and I'm quite leery about backtested results since they can be cherry picked and have survivorship bias, etc. I'm not sure I would have been very interested in HBPP if I hadn't read 'How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World' at an early age. Some mention of this book could really help people to understand the philosophical underpinnings of the PP.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to the book.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Thanks for the feedback.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Craigr,

Slowly reading through the new book (I bought 2, one for myself and one for my dad) and am about halfway through. Good stuff.

Whether it has been stated or not, I found on the hardcopy of the book that on pg. 64 Chapter 5, "recession is not good "for" any asset". There isn't the word "for" written in there as the other comments are. Not sure if this was intentional or if it would be something you could easily fix in future revisions. Great book again, looking forward to reading about Geographic diversification.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
hpowders

Post by hpowders »

I found the withdrawal section particularly helpful-since I will be forced by the Feds to withdraw a small portion in 3 years. >:(
I expect to move from 1 star adjunct lecturer to 4 star assistant professor on this forum very soon. Already a 3 star adjunct assistant professor.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

hpowders wrote: I found the withdrawal section particularly helpful-since I will be forced by the Feds to withdraw a small portion in 3 years. >:(
Even if you have to withdraw it, you don't have to spend it.  If your overall income isn't that high you may find that you don't really have much tax to pay on it either.

I've been dealing with this situation with my mother's account for years.  The dollars just move from her IRA to her taxable account.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
hpowders

Post by hpowders »

MediumTex wrote:
hpowders wrote: I found the withdrawal section particularly helpful-since I will be forced by the Feds to withdraw a small portion in 3 years. >:(
Even if you have to withdraw it, you don't have to spend it.  If your overall income isn't that high you may find that you don't really have much tax to pay on it either.

I've been dealing with this situation with my mother's account for years.  The dollars just move from her IRA to her taxable account.
Thanks. Yes. Will probably put the PP withdrawal in my taxable account for "emergencies". Luckily, I'm in decent financial shape.
I expect to move from 1 star adjunct lecturer to 4 star assistant professor on this forum very soon. Already a 3 star adjunct assistant professor.
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

Great book--I was able to finish it during Sandy's power outage (romantic reading by l.e.d. lantern and torchlight).  I bought the paper version but will probably also download the ebook to read on the go.

Will the PP book be made available in other languages?  I noticed Portuguese/Latin American participants on the board and it seems like a good idea.
Last edited by smurff on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

smurff wrote: Great book--I was able to finish it during Sandy's power outage (romantic reading by l.e.d. lantern and torchlight).  I bought the paper version but will probably also get the download the ebook to read on the go.

Will the PP book be made available in other languages?  I noticed Portuguese/Latin American participants on the board and it seems like a good idea.
Hard to say. I think the publisher will make the determination based on sales. Glad you liked the book...
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

smurff wrote: Great book--I was able to finish it during Sandy's power outage (romantic reading by l.e.d. lantern and torchlight).  I bought the paper version but will probably also download the ebook to read on the go.

Funny, smurff, but Sandy was the moment that I had to put the book down and plan my evacuation. Now that I am back home and the contractors are hard at work repairing it, I am ready to start reading it again.
Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog »

Bought it. Am I the first Dutch buyer ?
The paper is a bit "newspaper" quality
Shall  read with X-mas
Life is uncertain and then we die
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Thomas Hoog wrote: Bought it. Am I the first Dutch buyer ?
The paper is a bit "newspaper" quality
Shall  read with X-mas
I dont' know if you're the first Dutch buyer as Marc DeMesel is dutch speaking Belgian who might have bought it. However, if you are in the Netherlands we can give you first claim.

I thought the paper stock felt good to me. Maybe I'll look at it again. We don't have any control over the book production issues outside of the master layout, etc.

Thanks for buying the book.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

Love the book.
Kinda like Harry Browne 401.
Thanks!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I got it on the Kindle and it is indeed good to see Harry's recommendations brought up to date. If only he were here to see how things have evolved beyond anything he ever mentioned in any of his books!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Thanks for checking out the book.

I'm glad that you are finding it to be a valuable resource.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”