Wiki Light

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Wiki Light

Post by BearBones » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 am

OK. The topic of a wiki or book has been discussed at length before on this forum, but to do this well will necessarily take a large commitment and a lot of time. How about this as an alternative (and perhaps a genesis for something more ambitious)?

It would be interesting to know what most important pearls of wisdom each of us have gleaned from this forum (and any others, if relevant). Assume that we all have a basic understanding of the purpose and construction of a HB PP. Please provide links to the specific information in other threads, for anyone interested in reading more.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wiki Light

Post by l82start » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:41 am

i came across an option that might work well, i was going to try to put it together myself but i think it might come out better if it were done by people who are more knowledgeable about the pp or as a group effort...

it is a type of "mind map" a program called "personal brain", you can look into it or download a test version (full feature for 30 days)  here http://www.thebrain.com/ it would allow us to create an "ontology of the harry brown PP investment strategy" with links to any information on the internet as well as links showing the relationships between the ideas of PP investment.. after it is complete it should be possible to post the "brain" on a website for people who don't have the program to view, or as a (brain)file that those that do can download.  i haven't looked at all the features yet but it allows adding screen caps, links and notes to each thought in the brain, it seems like it would be easier to build than a wiki, and because of the way it links thoughts far easier to understand/study than sorting through information presented in a linear format....
Last edited by l82start on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 am

There is an element of Socratic dialogue in the discussions we have here.

The instruction and learning gradually reveals itself as the discussion progresses.

One thing I have repeatedly realized about my own mind is that I need to be ready for something before I can really learn it.  Until I am ready, the knowledge may be right in front of me but it just isn't infused with meaning and richness...then one day I look at the same knowledge and it just lights up.

So many people have come to the PP after losing a lot of money with other strategies, part of the fun of this forum is that it's like a group of people getting together to discuss hot stoves where each of them has been burned by a hot stove.  In such a group there is instant camaraderie and mutual respect.  People in a hot stove discussion group are going to have a shared experience as well as a shared desire to avoid the pain they have all experienced in the past.   
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
akratic
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by akratic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

There is already an excellent Permanent Portfolio section on the ERE wiki, and I'm sure it could get even better with more contributions from this forum.