Soverign CDS The Next "Big Short" Opportunity?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Soverign CDS The Next "Big Short" Opportunity?

Post by TripleB »

During the mortgage crisis, a few genius (or lucky) hedge fund managers shorted MBS and took insurance against CDS at below fair-market rates, because companies issuing the insurance (namely AIG) had no idea how risky things were.

I'd imagine it's too soon for people to have forgotten this, but maybe there's a similar opportunity with Sovereign Debt swaps?

I read in today's WSJ (along with millions of other people) about how large institutional banks are taking out CDS against their sovereign Euro-trash debt... and the counter party risk involved because the person writing the Swap might not be able to cover it, in the event of systemic failure.

I wonder if this is another Big Short opportunity? EU falls, all the CDS default, all the banks fail, pension funds wiped out.

Then again, considering how severe this would be, I imagine no governments could let it happen. It would lead to a global recession lasting decades.

I'm glad to be in the PP and not have to "worry" about it. But it is fun to think about and discuss :)