General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Spreadsheets to Track PP

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm

hoost wrote: snip
I ganked your spreadsheet man, thanks for all that work.  I was working on a spreadsheet but it was Barney-style compared to some of the majestic pieces you guys made.
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
hoost wrote: snip
I ganked your spreadsheet man, thanks for all that work.  I was working on a spreadsheet but it was Barney-style compared to some of the majestic pieces you guys made.
No worries.  I'm glad someone else was able to make sense of/use it.  It makes the effort more worthwhile.  If you have any questions on tweaking it, let me know.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Yea, the part that blew my mind was that you could link to websites to update the cells.  I never knew you could do that.  I don't understand how it updates my bonds... that's pretty much black wizardry.  I did figure out how to update the Colorado gold table since I guess they changed the rows since you made that table.  Other than that, I pretty much kept it as is, except for deleting out the stuff I don't use.  I'll probably have to recheck that original shared one if I need to add that stuff back in... I think I deleted one of your really long formulae. 

I think the only thing I might add to it is something to calculate the duration of the bond ladders.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 am

Hello,

where can I see daily variation of HBPP?

I would like to feel the flutuactions day by day in a chart.

Thank you.
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 pm

A quick way to do this would be make a Google Finance Page and put a hypothetical $2500 in each of IAU, SHY, TLT, and VTI.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 pm

yes GREAT

Can you only see ONE year chart?

Regards
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Well you can either plot all 4 of the items and compare them against each other. This will at least show you percentage changes in the past year.

Or check the price one year ago and state that as your cost basis for each of the 4 items. That way you'll have the price appreciation of one year.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 am

Yahoo Finance has longterm (+10years) charts for the similar My Portfolio?

Tks
Xtal

Post by Xtal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:58 pm

I just found this online: lovely way to track physical gold (and silver) coin purchases:

https://drive.google.com/previewtemplat ... ode=public#
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 pm

hoost, is there a website where I can link a cell in the gold portion to the gold spot price?  I had been using Colorado gold, and tried to link it to Kitco's site but messed something up.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote: hoost, is there a website where I can link a cell in the gold portion to the gold spot price?  I had been using Colorado gold, and tried to link it to Kitco's site but messed something up.
Here is the bid from APMEX:  =Index(ImportHTML("http://www.apmex.com","table",0),2,2)

I use colorado gold for the bid on coins.  This will give you the full table: =importhtml("http://www.coloradogold.com/selling.php",1,0)

To get an individual value from the table, use this (this is for 1 oz. gold eagle):  =index(importhtml("http://www.coloradogold.com/selling.php",1,0),2,2)

1 oz. Maple Leaf would be:  =index(importhtml("http://www.coloradogold.com/selling.php",1,0),8,2)

Is that what you're looking for?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 pm

=index(importhtml("http://www.kitco.com/market/",1,0),5,6)

That's the one I'm using to get the gold spot price, just for a consistent measure across the different coins/dealers one might use.  It wasn't working for a while so I thought I broke the internet, but it's working now.