General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New interview with Craig Rowland

Post by boglerdude »

> an emergency might force me to spend it all

yeah, experimental cancer treatment or something.

And if you can borrow more than you need, when the Fed starts buying mortgages again, thats more inflation protection.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ok, for the backdated email discussion, you can just go here
https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... =9&t=13176
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

What I found really interesting about the interview was Craig's insight on cryptographic systems being compromised and hacked.

It's true. Bitcoin has proven resilient... so far. But it does rely on a relatively static security framework and a bunch of infrastructure to function. Gold is totally inert and doesn't have that problem. Plus, unlike Bitcoin, gold makes for some dang nice looking jewellery on my fiance. ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I am still perpetually grateful to Craig and Tex for introducing me to the PP. I wish Tex would also do another interview.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Yup, just listened to it this morning. As I did not have enough of sleep during the night to cover my needs, most part I slept, but details should not bother any real PP proponent (like me). Whether Gold is real inflation protector or not, whether it covers 80-90 or merely 50% of the inflation, really does not bother me. Craig is a wise guy with the kind of a wisdom that only a self-made man can have. My personal wisdom is "work(do business) to make money, put (some of) those money aside in PP and go live your life". Hope nobody expects to get rich with PP, even keeping up with inflation seems to be hard enough task :D
Anyway, hope you are all doing fine ! Always nice to see VP-mostly-guys keeping the GI forum alive and kicking (no bad feelings, at all, you are all nice folks) :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Always great to see you check in, Vil!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Howdy all!

Thanks for posting the interview. I'll answer some points:

1) Yes my core portfolio is still based on the PP. Like most people, I have other assets, but the core of life savings I still do the PP. I have never shifted to all stocks, etc.

2) Yes, LT bonds have stunk recently. I rely on Stocks/Gold/Cash to buffer the losses.

3) Duration matching only works in hindsight. How do you predict these things consistently going forward without a lot of portfolio churn/taxes/expenses in the process?

4) Cryptocurrency is pure speculation. I'd only do it for the VP and would never rely on it to remain intact based on my 30+ years in information security. Virtually EVERY cryptographic system has experienced being broken or serious degradation to long-term security in significant ways. This includes most all cryptographic primitives (core hashing and encryption algorithms). These attacks always get better over time. You've been warned!

5) I like the idea of cryptocurrencies and wish them the best. I just feel that governments are going to work to introduce their own versions and will ban all these other ones in some way to make them worthless for all practical purposes to the average person.

6) I'll worry about gold being worthless when someone invents reliable and cheap cold fusion. Until then, I'd still hold it in a portfolio. If you really hate the stuff I get it. Buy some other hard assets like real estate instead. But make sure your portfolio has some kind of hard asset protection.

7) If you want to goose returns, just buy more stock index funds and overweight that asset. This gives growth long term and inflation protection vs. other assets if you can wait out market downturns.

8 ) Your timeframe is not the market. While it is nice to think you have 50 year investment horizon to wait out market issues the reality is you can get an emergency that you need to access those funds much earlier. The Permanent Portfolio gives a really stable core that has a lower chance of leaving you hanging in a big decline if you suddenly find you need those funds.

Glad to see everyone. I am neck deep in my company (www.sandflysecurity.com) and don't have much time to post. I pretty much leave my portfolio alone which I think is good advice no matter what portfolio you want to follow (PP or no):

Keep costs low, diversify, don't churn, rarely peak at returns.

Hope you are all doing well!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

The Legend is back!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

It's such a pleasure and privilege to hear from you Craig. I know that I speak for many here when I say how grateful I am to you for all of your writing on the PP, going all the way back to those epic early threads you and Mr. Lawson did on the Bogleheads forums and of course including your essential book on the PP and these forums.

All the best to you!

Post by 425 »

craigr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 pm 4) Cryptocurrency is pure speculation. I'd only do it for the VP and would never rely on it to remain intact based on my 30+ years in information security. Virtually EVERY cryptographic system has experienced being broken or serious degradation to long-term security in significant ways. This includes most all cryptographic primitives (core hashing and encryption algorithms). These attacks always get better over time. You've been warned!
It's important to make a distinction between crypto and bitcoin. Bitcoin has matured to the point where I don't think it is fair to say that it is pure speculation. All assets have part of its price driven by speculation about its future market price discounted to present value. The problem with bitcoin is that the fear of missing out only comes when the current price is dominated by speculative premium.

I listened to the interview and I think listeners should be aware that current encryption standards are already vulnerable to quantum computing today and bitcoin wallets typically already handle best practices so that addresses are not re-used for this reason. One day computing power will be fast enough to attack transactions but bitcoin encryption standards can be upgraded to meet modern requirements unless encryption as a field fails to keep up with decryption in which case we also have bigger problems.
craigr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 pm 5) I like the idea of cryptocurrencies and wish them the best. I just feel that governments are going to work to introduce their own versions and will ban all these other ones in some way to make them worthless for all practical purposes to the average person.
Governments will have CBDCs for their own reasons, they will most likely not make them deflationary. They could definitely make it so that bitcoin is worthless but this is what you're speculating on. Bitcoin does not need hyper bitcoinization in order to gain 10x in price. In some ways investing the bulk of one's portfolio in the PP allows them to have an educated guess on how much money they can afford to lose so that they can invest in something riskier and it also frees up their time so that they can spend it on doing something riskier like running a business rather than working a job.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

craigr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 pm 5) I like the idea of cryptocurrencies and wish them the best. I just feel that governments are going to work to introduce their own versions and will ban all these other ones in some way to make them worthless for all practical purposes to the average person.

This got me wondering how I feel about it. While I wish investors the best, I don’t think I wish crypto the best. In fact, I think it would be interesting and not a little amusing if every institution voluntarily declared that they wouldn’t accept it. Highly unlikely, I know.
This isn’t out of some deep-seated misanthropy. I wish general investors the best and I hold some bitcoin. I just like the idea of crypto as a payment system, an easy medium of exchange, not a system that rewards young MIT students for hoarding it early. But is it hypocritical that I don’t feel the same way about someone who hoarded shares of, say, Pepsico early? Maybe …

I want productive companies to win, not cryptocurrencies. Nor even just currencies.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

It's a good point. If productive companies are winning then that generally means society and people are probably doing well. If cryptocurrencies win in a big way it's probably because there's been some major monetary system upheaval.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all