Advice on Spaniard PP implementation

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

acuteinertia

Advice on Spaniard PP implementation

Post by acuteinertia »

Hello everyone! New in the forum but long time lurker, I'm very glad to write my first post. I'm thankful for all the wisdom and knowledge I could read around here. I am a Spaniard in my early 30s. After a lot of reading, I decided to start a portfolio for wealth protection and moderate growth. The PP seemed a good choice, but I am not totally confident when implementing the European version of it. So, I have seen some suggestions in the forum for international investors of creating a 1/3 U.S. dollar currency denominated stocks, 1/3 local currency denominated intermediate term bonds and 1/3 non-fiat currency gold - see here. In Spain, mutual funds have some advantages over ETFs as you can move money between them without having to pay capital gains. This is the reason why I am using them. Also, no fees for buying or selling either. So, this is the portfolio I have come up with:
  • iShares US Index Fund. S&P 500 indexed fund. Not much to say here. I know Irish-domiciled ETFs holding U.S. equities are subject to a 15% withholding tax rate on dividends, compared to the 30% rate for ETFs domiciled in other European jurisdictions or Irish-domiciled mutual funds, though.
  • iShares Ultra High Quality Euro Government Bond Index Fund. Markit iBoxx Eurozone AAA Index indexed fund. Holding AAA European governments euro denominated bonds, basically Germany and Netherlands. Around 7 years duration, weighted average maturity of 8.5 years. Hopefully adding some flight to quality protection.
  • iShares Physical Gold ETC. Gold ETC, in theory 100% backed by physical gold bullion, LBMA market. I need to use an ETF in this case as there is no mutual fund equivalent.
Portfolio TER around 0.12%. All accumulation funds as they are also more tax advantageous than distribution. I am a remote worker and have low monthly expenses, so I can save a good chunk of my salary. The idea is to distribute 60% of the monthly savings to this portfolio and 10% to cold storage Bitcoin - I firmly believe in the value proposition. The final 30% will go to a cash deposit under the 100k euros threshold the ECB guarantees, where most of my current savings are at the moment, as I am planning to buy a house in the medium term. What do you guys think? Thank you so much in advance for all you input. ;D
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Advice on Spaniard PP implementation

Post by Hal »

Hi Acuteinertia,

Just wondering if you have considered doing something like:

25% Physical Gold held offshore eg: https://www.perthmint.com/invest/perth- ... y-program/

75% Lifestrategy Fund eg: https://www.ie.vanguard/products/etf/li ... cumulating
Gives 25% Gold, 30% Shares, 45% Intermediate Bonds (within 15%-35% rebalance bands for Gold/Shares, 30%-70% for Bonds)

Since the Lifestrategy fund rebalances within the ETF, there may be no tax implications for you as an individual.
You may also like the extra diversification this approach supplies.

All the best in buying your new home!

Edit: You got me curious! Here's the chart from Morningstar.
Attachments
Quick look at returns.png
Quick look at returns.png (71.57 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 10.31.44 am.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 10.31.44 am.png (97.65 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO