Alright who’s hitting rebalancing bands?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Matthew19

Alright who’s hitting rebalancing bands?

Post by Matthew19 »

I came close during covid. LTT must be getting close for some of us.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Alright who’s hitting rebalancing bands?

Post by Smith1776 »

I had money out of the market for a while due to some real estate stuff happening. And then I switched to a new strategy where my allocations were "reset" to the original 4 x 25%. So I never did end up hitting that rebalancing band.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

Matthew19 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:09 am I came close during covid. LTT must be getting close for some of us.
The LTTs are 16.4% of my classic 4x25 HBPP

Would have been even closer to 15% if the other componentes didn't have sunk at the same time recently.
Mike59

Post by Mike59 »

And does it ever take courage to buy more when it's a sea of red in the bond market every day?! :-\

When I see business news and my immediate reaction is "this is it, it's all over, what we thought was true isn't anymore..." , the old me would've sold , I know better that times like this "may" be a sign of capitulation before it turns the other way...
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

Mike59 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:30 am And does it ever take courage to buy more when it's a sea of red in the bond market every day?! :-\
This is exactly what should be done in terms of rebalancing. Buy cheap, right? ;D
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Yeah, I need to look into this -- I'm pretty sure I need to put some funds into LTT (although I have a low target allocation to LTT vs PP)
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay »

Ugly_Bird wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:44 pm
Matthew19 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:09 am I came close during covid. LTT must be getting close for some of us.
The LTTs are 16.4% of my classic 4x25 HBPP

Would have been even closer to 15% if the other componentes didn't have sunk at the same time recently.
As the yield curve reverts from inverted, each of stock, gold, LTT might be down shorter term. Perhaps cash and gold initially doing well, then a good time to shift some over to the lower priced stocks/LTT's

https://youtu.be/8xjuh5ZbGvM

2024 is perhaps another year where the popularity of the PP is rekindled (number of board postings increase). For those that rotate, buy the PP when the board is asleep, rotate out when the board is raging :)
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog »

Like Smith 1776 I just bought a house so my "rebalancing" came in the form of lighting a ton of money on fire.

More seriously, I'm still accumulating so I don't wait for cash to hit a rebalancing band. I just make purchases every month.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by steve »

I just sold all my TLT for tax loss harvesting purposes and bought VGLT as replacement I will revisit after 30 days and if VGLT goes down I will harvest that loss as well and replace with TLT
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

My LTTs are 15.8%. I think I'm ready to rebalance.
In Fidelity accounts, what is better for buying LTT funds: TLT ETF or FNBGX index?
I currently already have both.
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting »

Ugly_Bird wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:38 pm My LTTs are 15.8%. I think I'm ready to rebalance.
In Fidelity accounts, what is better for buying LTT funds: TLT ETF or FNBGX index?
I currently already have both.
I use FNBGX because I prefer Mutual Fund structure over ETF where possible. FNBGX is also incredibly inexpensive at 0.03% ER. If this is a taxable account, using both may be a good idea for you with regard to tax loss harvesting. TLT uses a different index than what FNBGX and most of the other LTT MFs/ETFs use, so you can exchange between TLT and the others without issue.

All my FNBGX is in tax advantaged, so TLH consideration does not apply to me. And I set distributions to automatically reinvest each month. I am curious, for those of you that use ETFs: do you set distributions to automatically reinvest or do you let the cash accumulate and decide what to do later? I like that the automatic reinvestment is making small monthly purchases at currently much lower prices.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

I've rebalanced at 15.6% LTTs and the other components at 27-28ish%
And right after the LTTs started going up pretty well. Feels good :-)
I also discovered that in Fidelity it is possible to sell specific shares.
So, I sold IAU with the least gain. And also sold SHY with the highest gain to "lose" about $3k for the loss harvesting to offset IAU selling profits.
Needed to do that because I did not have enough IAU to sell for rebalancing in the tax deferred accounts.
Now back to 4x25ish.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

Ugly_Bird wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:19 am And right after the LTTs started going up pretty well. Feels good :-)
Maybe not so good today... Oooops! :-)
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

coasting wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:00 pm I am curious, for those of you that use ETFs: do you set distributions to automatically reinvest or do you let the cash accumulate and decide what to do later? I like that the automatic reinvestment is making small monthly purchases at currently much lower prices.
I do not do automatic reinvestment. Just accumulating cash and then buy the PP components at their current ratio. Basically following the book. :-)