Long Term Tips YTD return

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maestro G
Associate Member
Associate Member

Long Term Tips YTD return

Post by Maestro G »

It's interesting to me that, according to Morningstar, and after today's carnage, the YTD return for LTPZ (PIMCO 15+Yr. TIPS) is: 18.58%, outpacing both IAU (15.90%) and TLT (14.49%).

I know that TIPS are generally anathema here on the PP discussion boards ("don't buy fire insurance from an arsonist" etc, etc....), and LTPZ hasn't been around that long, but could it be that, at least in this environment, the long duration variety is the best of both worlds relative to gold and long duration nominals ???

Best,
Maestro G
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present. Most daily market noise is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Long Term Tips YTD return

Post by vnatale »

Maestro G wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:18 am It's interesting to me that, according to Morningstar, and after today's carnage, the YTD return for LTPZ (PIMCO 15+Yr. TIPS) is: 18.58%, outpacing both IAU (15.90%) and TLT (14.49%).

I know that TIPS are generally anathema here on the PP discussion boards ("don't buy fire insurance from an arsonist" etc, etc....), and LTPZ hasn't been around that long, but could it be that, at least in this environment, the long duration variety is the best of both worlds relative to gold and long duration nominals ???

Best,
Maestro G
This never received a response. What would be now the 10 year or so comparison between LTPZ, IAU, and TLT?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ozzy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ozzy »

In the past 10 years, LT Treasuries (TLT) have performed very similarly to LT TIPS (LTPZ). See link below, only a ~1% difference in CAGR.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100

I'm seriously considering swapping out half my TLT position with LTPZ. With the Fed's recent announcement to allow inflation to 'run hot' in the coming years, it seems prudent to diversify my bond holdings with a bit of inflation protection.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

ozzy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:41 pm In the past 10 years, LT Treasuries (TLT) have performed very similarly to LT TIPS (LTPZ). See link below, only a ~1% difference in CAGR.

I'm seriously considering swapping out half my TLT position with LTPZ. With the Fed's recent announcement to allow inflation to 'run hot' in the coming years, it seems prudent to diversify my bond holdings with a bit of inflation protection.
I wonder what HB would recommend to handle the big drops and swings in stocks like 2008 being down about 55%. The drawdown for LTPZ is somewhat the same as TLT. Also what do you lose by using LTPZ vs TLT. Maybe a little duration? Maybe pick up a little in Yield? What else?
ozzy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ozzy »

Good question. The link shows "US Mkt Correlation" for TLT provides slightly more stock market crash protection. Other than that, I don't believe you're losing much. I'm not ready to go whole-hog into LTPZ, but I'm willing to go half-hog. I bought some LTPZ yesterday and its up +1.12% today. So far so good!
amdda01

Post by amdda01 »

Ozzy,

How does this new move fit in the context of the Juicy?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

modeljc wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:59 pm
ozzy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:41 pm In the past 10 years, LT Treasuries (TLT) have performed very similarly to LT TIPS (LTPZ). See link below, only a ~1% difference in CAGR.

I wonder what HB would recommend to handle the big drops and swings in stocks like 2008 being down about 55%. The drawdown for LTPZ is somewhat the same as TLT. Also what do you lose by using LTPZ vs TLT. Maybe a little duration? Maybe pick up a little in Yield? What else?
hard to say .. perhaps today TLT would have sold off to meet margin calls and fed spending increasing the perception of inflation fears since rates are so low today and other means to pull out of deflation are needed .

history never repeats the same way twice ..only historians repeat themselves .

each time is just different enough that whatever you thought would work doesn't
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

ozzy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:42 pm Good question. The link shows "US Mkt Correlation" for TLT provides slightly more stock market crash protection. Other than that, I don't believe you're losing much. I'm not ready to go whole-hog into LTPZ, but I'm willing to go half-hog. I bought some LTPZ yesterday and its up +1.12% today. So far so good!
perhaps splitting tlt with lptz is a slight improvement as well as split shy with vtip .

but in any case if rates rise to high there may not be a lot of difference in damage
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

mathjak107 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:51 am
ozzy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:42 pm Good question. The link shows "US Mkt Correlation" for TLT provides slightly more stock market crash protection. Other than that, I don't believe you're losing much. I'm not ready to go whole-hog into LTPZ, but I'm willing to go half-hog. I bought some LTPZ yesterday and its up +1.12% today. So far so good!
perhaps splitting tlt with lptz is a slight improvement as well as split shy with vtip .

but in any case if rates rise to high there may not be a lot of difference in damage
Thanks! That does answer my question. If rates go up the damage is still with us.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

i have another limit order in for tlt today at 159.99 ... this is the 4th time this week on tlt .

two at gains one got stopped out at slight loss.

i went back to short term trading it . it seems to follow every gain with a dip .
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

mathjak107 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:44 am i have another limit order in for tlt today at 159.99 ... this is the 4th time this week on tlt .

two at gains one got stopped out at slight loss.

i went back to short term trading it . it seems to follow every gain with a dip .
Appears there is convergence - nice support at 200 SMA on daily, 160$ also looks a decent support .. some indicators are slightly bullish as well .. let's see..