Gave up on "pure" Permanent Portfolio in EU

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gave up on "pure" Permanent Portfolio in EU

Post by europeanwizard »

As an EU citizen, I've always had my doubts about the bonds portion of the PP and that was five years ago. And I tried but two years later, I gave them up. One of the friendly people here asked me for an update of my portfolio. It's doing fine. Roughly, my portfolio is now looking as follows:

Gold 17%
Total world stock 58%
Art via masterworks 6%
Cash 11%
Bitcoin 8%

I plan to increase the art portion to about 10%. Gold is fine and I won't increase it. Having so much in world stock, it worries me but I don't know any other way. I love the EU for the political block it provides, but I hate its central bank. In the meantime, I'm going to keep my head down and keep stashing :)
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gave up on "pure" Permanent Portfolio in EU

Post by Hal »

Your allocation reminds me of Jim Rickards suggestion....
Think he had land as well.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I think if one likes HB's thinking about the bond component, it would be good to use US Treasuries no matter where in the world one resides. Because they are the world's safe haven investment. So far anyway.

Thoughts/rebuttals?
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hi,

"Art via masterworks"

what is this? How do you invest on it?

Regards!

:)
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

frugal wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:05 am Hi,

"Art via masterworks"

what is this? How do you invest on it?

Regards!

:)
Hi frugal. Let me google that for you.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

I Shrugged wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:28 pm I think if one likes HB's thinking about the bond component, it would be good to use US Treasuries no matter where in the world one resides. Because they are the world's safe haven investment. So far anyway.

Thoughts/rebuttals?
+1
Also gold is negatively correlated to US Bonds. Inflation goes dramatically up, US bonds down, gold up. Gold is not correlated to what happens in very small economies. I think Smithy's GoldSmith portfolio is a good example of getting exposure to US treasuries if you don't live in the US.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

europeanwizard wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:56 am Art via masterworks 6%
Sounds like a snake oil business, but I guess you have done your due diligence.. I am afraid of investing in such a fancy things, tried some P2P lending platforms (Mintos, Peerberry, Iuvo and Klearlending to be precise) for a while and then exited. Not that I am able to accurately estimate (if there is such possibility at all) the risk hidden behind investing in P2P, but I assume most of the risk is held by the investors. Recent events with Peerberry (for which the UA and RU markets were substantial part of the business) made my feelings come true - couple of days ago received some mail notification from Peerberry informing they are planning to repay their customers in batches in the course of the next 24 months ....
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Vil wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:03 pm
europeanwizard wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:56 am Art via masterworks 6%
Sounds like a snake oil business, but I guess you have done your due diligence.. I am afraid of investing in such a fancy things, tried some P2P lending platforms (Mintos, Peerberry, Iuvo and Klearlending to be precise) for a while and then exited. Not that I am able to accurately estimate (if there is such possibility at all) the risk hidden behind investing in P2P, but I assume most of the risk is held by the investors. Recent events with Peerberry (for which the UA and RU markets were substantial part of the business) made my feelings come true - couple of days ago received some mail notification from Peerberry informing they are planning to repay their customers in batches in the course of the next 24 months ....
@europeanwizard or anyone else with experience in Masterworks. This would be a great thread for the VP. I've been curious about this platform and users experience with it. Or your thoughts here would also be welcome.
snedgar

Post by snedgar »

Seemed too good to be true to me.

Once I read this review, scratched it off my list: https://wantfi.com/masterworks-review.html

" ... If you can get beyond the shady business practices, marketing, founder’s past business activities, fee grab where they act as an art hedge fund, and unique art risks, then Masterworks investing offers that opportunity to buy a fractional ownership in “blue chip” fine art..."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

snedgar wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:38 pm Seemed too good to be true to me.

Once I read this review, scratched it off my list: https://wantfi.com/masterworks-review.html

" ... If you can get beyond the shady business practices, marketing, founder’s past business activities, fee grab where they act as an art hedge fund, and unique art risks, then Masterworks investing offers that opportunity to buy a fractional ownership in “blue chip” fine art..."
Thanks for the link. That was an excellent summary. I subscribed to his newsletter.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

The surest way to benefit from the roaring inflation, mediocre results of the stocks and abysmal drowning of the bonds is to start a platform for anything that promise >4-5% real. I think very soon even promising to just beat the inflation might be very well accepted by the audience. In any case - promises are for free and have wide range of flexibility ;D