Post by buddtholomew » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am

dockinGA wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:19 am
buddtholomew wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 am
01/2021 - 2022 YTD

PP: 2.25%
BH 60/40: 8%
Where are you getting your numbers? According to portfoliovisualizer, i'm seeing that $10k invested in the PP Jan 2020 would be worth almost $11k today, inflation adjusted.
Apologies, it’s 2021-2022 YTD.
2020 - YTD returns are pretty close, about 2% difference.
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP is Totally Obsolete!!!

Post by dockinGA » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:28 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am

Fair enough. Inflation adjusted, the PP is down about 6% since Jan 2021. Pretty bad for this portfolio, but still far, far, far from a disaster. Coupled with the huge runup that we saw in 2019-2020, it's still trucking along just fine.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:29 am

dockinGA wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:28 am
buddtholomew wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am

Fair enough. Inflation adjusted, the PP is down about 6% since Jan 2021. Pretty bad for this portfolio, but still far, far, far from a disaster. Coupled with the huge runup that we saw in 2019-2020, it's still trucking along just fine.
I agree it’s trucking along, but I would have hoped/expected at a higher speed given the current economic environment.
williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by williswine » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:07 pm

Nice to read you again MT!
MediumTex wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 pm
What are recent items of discussion/dispute here?
I am surprised no one has mentioned crypto. There has been considerable debate as to whether the gold portion should be split to make space for crypto even if only in proportion to its market size vs. gold's, i.e. a low single digit percentage. Perhaps the recent downs for Bitcoin have corrected the perception that it is like digital gold. I for one would like to hear your take.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:31 pm

williswine wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:07 pm
Nice to read you again MT!
MediumTex wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 pm
What are recent items of discussion/dispute here?
I am surprised no one has mentioned crypto. There has been considerable debate as to whether the gold portion should be split to make space for crypto even if only in proportion to its market size vs. gold's, i.e. a low single digit percentage. Perhaps the recent downs for Bitcoin have corrected the perception that it is like digital gold. I for one would like to hear your take.
I did some backtests and adding just one or two percent of GBTC supercharged returns. Not bad for a small amount of downside.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

Hi from a fellow PP forum old-timer, MT! Nice to hear from you, and glad you're doing well. I thought I'd see how folks here were reacting to the recent market conditions, and what a nice surprise it was to see a thread with your name on it! Keep on keepin' on, and stay sane in these chaotic times we live in.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon May 09, 2022 5:38 pm

For those of you who didn’t get to meet PS, he was/is every bit as cool as MedTex!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm
Hi from a fellow PP forum old-timer, MT! Nice to hear from you, and glad you're doing well. I thought I'd see how folks here were reacting to the recent market conditions, and what a nice surprise it was to see a thread with your name on it! Keep on keepin' on, and stay sane in these chaotic times we live in.
Pointedstick!

I could repurpose this entire message for you as well. :) Great to hear from you. How's stealth exceptionalism treating you these days? It seems like a good time to be flexing those frugality muscles.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

And, also great to hear from you!

I am looking into solar and was going to try to lure you back here by telling you that once I got deeper into the process I'd be asking questions here regarding solar.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon May 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Tyler wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm
Pointedstick!

I could repurpose this entire message for you as well. :) Great to hear from you. How's stealth exceptionalism treating you these days? It seems like a good time to be flexing those frugality muscles.
Hi Tyler!

It's going well. My quest to make monthly expenses as small and/or predictable as possible has basically succeeded, so my family budget consists of a very consistent fixed component, savings, and discretionary consumption. We have the flexibility to dial one or the other up or down as each month's specific situation demands. Big expense this month? Cancel the month's savings and buy it outright, rather than borrowing, waiting, or doing without. Money left over this month? put it into savings. It's hard to overstate what a stress reliever and life simplifier it's been to not have fluctuating monthly expenses for gasoline, electricity, and natural gas. Now if only I could find a way to do the same thing for food, our biggest remaining variable monthly expense! Growing a lot of it myself has been a failure every time I've tried it. What the desert giveth in photons for free energy, she taketh away in dry barren soil.

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:34 pm
And, also great to hear from you!

I am looking into solar and was going to try to lure you back here by telling you that once I got deeper into the process I'd be asking questions here regarding solar.
Sounds good! Honestly it's pretty simple these days. I think pricing has stabilized, though it's still slowly falling since the market is quite competitive. Highly recommended. A++, would go solar again.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:55 pm
Now if only I could find a way to do the same thing for food, our last variable monthly expense! Growing a lot of it myself has been a failure every time I've tried it. What the desert giveth in photons for free energy, she taketh away in dry barren soil.
Hi Pointedstick,

Try a wicking bed. My brother lives out in the desert and it works very well.
Random video on wicking bed -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lGWgBY1i6E
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Tue May 10, 2022 3:36 am

Well, the truth is it's really hard to feed you/your family from farming. Even with the alluvial soil (and thanks to Danube being such an enormous river) we enjoy in Northern Bulgaria - its hard to feed a family without having to take extremely good care and work a lot on several acres. If you want to go 'Bio' (as we do/did - no Monsanto, no BASF) - its way harder. Can recall we almost managed to be self sustainable during the Communist era - but that was back in time when our portions were 3-4-5x less the size they are now, and we ate meat 1x per week. Now is different - the newly democratized population enjoy having nice bellies ;)
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:41 pm

Really enjoyed this thread!

Great to hear from MT.

Insightful as always.