Wellesley GB

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Wellesley GB

Post by ppnewbie »

Interesting Combo. Add Wellesley instead of Cash or SCHO.
Wellesley_GB.png
Wellesley_GB.png (333 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Wellesley GB

Post by Kevin K. »

Unsurprising but all you're doing with this substitution is getting rid of cash - which is invaluable for rebalancing, living off of and a fair amount of inflation protection - with a slice of large-cap value stocks and intermediate corporate bonds, while also injecting an actively-managed fund subject to manager risk (W just changed managers, BTW).

Rather than adding a trivial amount of Wellesley only to screw up the elegant construction of the GB why not consider going all-in with the "Golden Wellesley"?:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11196
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

After backtesting (alot) I could not really justify a sliver of gold into the Wellesley without just going all in on Wellesley. The gold did not improve the portfolio that much (could be wrong).

Also I get all the portfolio manager risk etc and the fact that it’s Large cap dividend paying stocks and corporate bonds. But it behaves so beautifully (at least up until now). Almost like a bank account paying 6ish percent (after taxes).

It would be extremely useful if Tyler ever added the Wellesley as an option to portfoliocharts.com.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Also exchanging Wellesley with cash in a HBPP performs beautifully.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

Wellesley works best in a tax deferred account.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Don wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:42 pm Wellesley works best in a tax deferred account.
Thanks. I saw that the Tax Cost Ratio and the Expense Ratio basically shave off about 1.66 percent of the 7.5ish percent yearly returns. So basically in a taxable account its about 6 percent returns.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:10 pm Also exchanging Wellesley with cash in a HBPP performs beautifully.
There have been cash-free portfolio ideas here since at least 2010, but what about what Kevin said above? Cash does perform a specific function.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

But what if viewed it as cash returning 6 percent per year. I get that there is added risk but cash in itself has risk.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:08 pm But what if viewed it as cash returning 6 percent per year.

O0 I’d say you were fibbing to yourself. It’s an instrument returning 6%, but cash, it ain’t.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:10 pm
ppnewbie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:08 pm
But what if viewed it as cash returning 6 percent per year.

O0 I’d say you were fibbing to yourself. It’s an instrument returning 6%, but cash, it ain’t.

Exactly!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

It’s clear it’s not cash. It’s dividend paying large caps and bonds. But it’s managed so well. On a good day I lose 2.5 percent on my cash on a bad day 7.5 percent.

The two main reasons I can think of not using it are manager risk and stocks and bonds losing their negative correlations. But it has a 50 year track record.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Maybe if I asked the question this way. Does replacing cash with Wellesley increase returns, reduce drawdowns, and decrease the ulcer index?

Not sure on this. I think I need to use the Simba spreadsheet to fully backtest.