2nd asset in tax deferred?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Matthew19

2nd asset in tax deferred?

Post by Matthew19 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:18 pm

I've finally crossed the point where I can hold something alongside bonds in my 401k. I know cash is often suggested, but with stupid low rates, would stocks make more sense?
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 2nd asset in tax deferred?

Post by foglifter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:31 pm

Tax-deferred space is limited and precious, I agree that it doesn't make sense to use it for cash. Since this is a 401k I bet your choices are limited, so stocks would be a natural (if not the only) option.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:34 pm

It's a self employed 401k, so I can buy anything you normally could with a Fidelity account. I also have an inherited IRA that I must withdraw within 10 years.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:59 pm

Matthew19 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:34 pm
It's a self employed 401k, so I can buy anything you normally could with a Fidelity account. I also have an inherited IRA that I must withdraw within 10 years.
That's awesome! You can also consider gold ETFs, I personally use SGOL as it has probably the lowest ER and the gold is based in Switzerland (not that it matters too much).

For stocks I use FZROX.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:29 pm

I regret that I let bogleheads steer me toward putting bonds in my tax-deferred accounts. I've added stocks for several years now. Especially the Roth IRA but also a Fidelity solo 401K.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:29 pm
I regret that I let bogleheads steer me toward putting bonds in my tax-deferred accounts. I've added stocks for several years now. Especially the Roth IRA but also a Fidelity solo 401K.
I don’t know how to do the math between paying the tax on bond payments each year and deferring stock gains tax, or saving the tax on the interest and reinvesting it while the stocks still grow
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:19 am

I think i should have paid attention to the fact that bogleheads tend to be in high tax brackets. Took me too long to realize. I have paid very little in taxes — low bracket — and if i could do it all again, I would have started with stocks in tax deferred to stretch that account out since, after all, you can only contribute so much. If i had started with a ton of money, I guess I could have paid an advisor with advice specific to my needs.

Another thing to think about, conversely: Is it possible to have too much money in tax deferred? There is a thread with a title like that either here or in bogleheads.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:19 am

I think i should have paid attention to the fact that bogleheads tend to be in high tax brackets. Took me too long to realize. I have paid very little in taxes — low bracket — and if i could do it all again, I would have started with stocks in tax deferred to stretch that account out since, after all, you can only contribute so much. If i had started with a ton of money, I guess I could have paid an advisor with advice specific to my needs.

Another thing to think about, conversely: Is it possible to have too much money in tax deferred? There is a thread with a title like that either here or in bogleheads.

That is a question in which I believe MathJak would have probably something valuable to contribute ....
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:13 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:19 am
It's extremely rare, but possible - Peter Thiel's IRA is a good example. ;D
- Talmud
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:22 pm

haha, yes!
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:12 am

I've just realized the downside to stocks in IRA is that there is no chance to tax-loss harvest =(
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:45 pm

Matthew19 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:12 am
I've just realized the downside to stocks in IRA is that there is no chance to tax-loss harvest =(
There actually is. It’s called a Roth conversion. :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:45 pm

Matthew19 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:12 am

There actually is. It’s called a Roth conversion. :)

Simple but true!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm

foglifter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:59 pm
Matthew19 wrote:
That's awesome! You can also consider gold ETFs, I personally use SGOL as it has probably the lowest ER and the gold is based in Switzerland (not that it matters too much).

For stocks I use FZROX.
Spider Mini Shares are the lowest ER. I have SGOL, BAR & GLDM. Those seem the best, but will probably be cashed out, or just confiscated like Luke Gromen said.
Like my Russian Equities & ETF were. Tell me we don't live in a nascent fascist state.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:38 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm
foglifter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:59 pm
Matthew19 wrote:

For stocks I use FZROX.
Spider Mini Shares are the lowest ER. I have SGOL, BAR & GLDM. Those seem the best, but will probably be cashed out, or just confiscated like Luke Gromen said.
Thanks for sharing, johnnywitt - I didn't know GLDM slashed the ER, I believe it used to be 0.18 initially. I still like the fact that SGOL keeps it's gold in Switzerland (and now UK), although it's governed by US law so there certainly is a risk if "they" decide to confiscate. Also, the gold custodian for GLDM is ICBC Standard Bank, a British bank with 60% ownership by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. Not calling it a red flag, but something to be aware of.

Actually, I don't understand why GLD still exists with it's fairly high ER of 0.40. The only advantage of GLD is the bid/spread ask and trading volume - this is great for traders, but irrelevant for long-term investors.
- Talmud
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:48 pm

foglifter wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:38 pm
Actually, I don't understand why GLD still exists with it's fairly high ER of 0.40. The only advantage of GLD is the bid/spread ask and trading volume - this is great for traders, but irrelevant for long-term investors.
I remember hearing some podcast that said GLD is better for people who play around with options and the like (and most likely why the ER doesn't matter for them).

But yeah, it makes no sense for the PP.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:05 am

I tried for many years to split assets across account types but ultimately found it much too complicated to integrate property into the PP concept because the different tax treatments interfere at rebalancing time, and the contribution restrictions in certain account types complicate your ability to contribute to all assets evenly.

In the end my solution was to implement a mini-PP in each account, which would work for you since your solo 401k lets you put whatever you want in it.

...Which is also complicated, but in a different way.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:01 pm

Whatever you do, I see a spreadsheet in your future!
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)