Pinwheel vs. PP?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Pinwheel vs. PP?

Post by Kevin K. » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:01 am

In light of numerous recent threads discussing conditions (e.g. unprecedented low interest rates, cryptocurrencies possibly usurping gold) I thought it would be interesting to look at another one of Tyler's brilliant portfolio ideas, the Pinwheel:

https://portfoliocharts.com/2018/10/01/ ... portfolio/

Of course on the surface one might legitimately ask what possible appeal this portfolio might have to those drawn to the PP? It's fairly complex and is quite volatile and subject to large (albeit usually brief) drawdowns. But if you dig down a bit into the thinking behind it it seems to me that the Pinwheel is arguably much more of an "all-weather" allocation than the PP, GB or Dalio's All Seasons. It's thoroughly diversified across countries and asset classes.

Some of the potential advantages I see to the Pinwheel going forward are that its equities are super-diversified (vs. Total Stock Market's complete reliance on a handful of tech stocks), it holds just the right fixed income (intermediate Treasuries and cash) for ballast and inflation protection but doesn't hold enough of them for their negative real returns to drag down the entire portfolio, and holds just enough gold to provide some sequence-of-returns-risk insurance without betting the farm on it.
johnnywitt

Re: Pinwheel vs. PP?

Post by johnnywitt » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:56 pm

Pinwheel is for Pinheads >:D

Seriously, it might be a great portfolio. It might beat everything else going forward for the next two decades, or longer. You just have to do your own due diligence and stick to a portfolio through thick and thin, but in order to do this, you have to have faith in your portfolio. The way that I have garnered this faith is through backtesting historical performance, but this is problematic because no one can possibly know what will happen in the future. So, in the end, you place your faith in a particular asset allocation and stick with it and not jump around trying to assuage your uncertainty and fear.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:14 pm

I find the Golden Butterfly has better characteristics, it has had more shallow drawdowns, and also supports higher withdrawal rates in retirement.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:14 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:14 pm
I find the Golden Butterfly has better characteristics, it has had more shallow drawdowns, and also supports higher withdrawal rates in retirement.
I agree, but backtesting being what it is...who knows.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:14 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Sure, it may not do as well relatively speaking going forward, however, given that Pinwheel has 10% more stock AND 15% REIT, I think it's likely to have bigger drawdowns when it hits the fan.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm
johnnywitt wrote:
StrategyDriven wrote:
Sure, it may not do as well relatively speaking going forward, however, given that Pinwheel has 10% more stock AND 15% REIT, I think it's likely to have bigger drawdowns when it hits the fan.
I agree.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm
johnnywitt wrote:
StrategyDriven wrote:
I agree, but I was merely trying to say how nobody knows what the future holds. No way to tell what will work best in the coming decades.