PP musings

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP musings

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:56 am

Well, received the latest Jim Rickards newsletter, and guess what, seems rather PPish

A portfolio robust to slower growth, lower interest rates, and popping asset bubbles would include: 10% gold, 30% cash,
20% high-quality government notes, 20% in land or residential real estate, and the remainder of 20% in stocks with emphasis on energy, artificial intelligence, agriculture, natural resources, defence, and healthcare.

Considering HB said not to consider real estate in a PP, you have roughly 1/4 each in the remaining asset classes.

As an aside, was reading up on Exters pyramid again. Any thoughts why
1. Stocks and real estate are where they are. How do you default on land & shares?
2. I am guessing non monetary commodities are things like wheat. How do you default on a silo of wheat?
and finally,
3. Where would you put silver? A non monetary commodity?

Haven't posted much on PP topics as I am very happy with the portfolio allocation. Heck, even my brother who is right into trading, has adopted the PP for his retirement funds!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 8.58.58 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 8.58.58 am.png (598.41 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP musings

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:15 am

Hal wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:56 am
Well, received the latest Jim Rickards newsletter, and guess what, seems rather PPish

A portfolio robust to slower growth, lower interest rates, and popping asset bubbles would include: 10% gold, 30% cash,
20% high-quality government notes, 20% in land or residential real estate, and the remainder of 20% in stocks with emphasis on energy, artificial intelligence, agriculture, natural resources, defence, and healthcare.
When I look at my entire allocation, I'm at

11% gold
17% real estate
23% bond barbell
49% stocks

So inverting his stock and barbell allocations. But then again, it's not a stretch to be more bullish than Jim Rickards ;) IIRC he's more of a currency-debacle kind of guy, so I'd think he would be more into gold/crypto than government debt.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:52 am

Hal wrote:

Considering HB said not to consider real estate in a PP, you have roughly 1/4 each in the remaining asset classes.

1. Stocks and real estate are where they are. How do you default on land & shares?
2. I am guessing non monetary commodities are things like wheat. How do you default on a silo of wheat?
and finally,

Haven't posted much on PP topics as I am very happy with the portfolio allocation. Heck, even my brother who is right into trading, has adopted the PP for his retirement funds!

A few questions and comments:

1) Rickards had an recommended allocation in his last book. How different is that from that?

2) Did he ever give an update of the results from his recommended allocation in the book?

3) I believe he stated in the book that everyone six months one is to supposed to do a re-evaluation and make the corresponding allocation changes. Was this his first recommended allocation change since the book came out?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:15 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:52 am
Hal wrote:

and finally,

A few questions and comments:

1) Rickards had an recommended allocation in his last book. How different is that from that?

2) Did he ever give an update of the results from his recommended allocation in the book?

3) I believe he stated in the book that everyone six months one is to supposed to do a re-evaluation and make the corresponding allocation changes. Was this his first recommended allocation change since the book came out?
30% cash in a near zero interest rate environment and stated inflation running at over 4% ??
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am

vnatale wrote:

Found it :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11786&p=226159&hili ... ds#p221390
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:48 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:15 am
30% cash in a near zero interest rate environment and stated inflation running at over 4% ??
Cash is kind of like an option on future assets, and one has to pay a premium for options.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm

What happened to the "fine art" that Rickards used to recommend as part of a balanced doomer portfolio? Has he sold it all off? It seems like he changes his mind just often enough to be perceived as relevant.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am

vnatale wrote:

Found it :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11786&p=226159&hili ... ds#p221390

Thank!

From the excerpt I had posted from above:

"The forgoing overview of market conditions, rigorous modeling, and accurate forecasting and the survey of asset classes provide visibility on an optimal portfolio asset allocation that is robust to deflation, is robust to inflation, preserves wealth in a continuing crisis, and provides attractive risk-adjusted returns in both the fast- and slow-recovery scenarios. It appears as follows:

Cash

30 percent of investible assets

Gold

10 percent of investible assets

Residential real estate

20 percent of investible assets

Treasury notes

20 percent of investible assets

Equities

10 percent of investible assets

Alternatives

10 percent of investible assets"

What you had above:

"A portfolio robust to slower growth, lower interest rates, and popping asset bubbles would include: 10% gold, 30% cash,
20% high-quality government notes, 20% in land or residential real estate, and the remainder of 20% in stocks with emphasis on energy, artificial intelligence, agriculture, natural resources, defence, and healthcare."

APPEARS NEAR IDENTICAL?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:48 am
jalanlong wrote:
Cash is kind of like an option on future assets, and one has to pay a premium for options.
Yeah but with no end in sight to low rates, I have a hard time putting any money into something that is guaranteed to lose whatever the inflation rate is.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:41 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Yeah but with no end in sight to low rates, I have a hard time putting any money into something that is guaranteed to lose whatever the inflation rate is.
23:35 min mark might be of use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuH-OjilW0
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:41 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
23:35 min mark might be of use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuH-OjilW0
Rick rule is interesting. I first heard of the PP through him during a Q and A session. It was clear he liked it but couldn’t promote it.