I've come home!

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

escoppa

I've come home!

Post by escoppa » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello,

After years of experimenting with different methods of investing (and having some good success), I have decided to come back to the HBPP. I believe we are going to experience a correction in the markets very soon, and I no longer have the intestinal fortitude to continue playing with fire. Rather than pull out of the market completely and sit on my hands, I wanted to go back to sleeping well at night and having a portfolio which can withstand whatever may come our way. Thus, here I am. I have moved all of my positions back to what worked for me years ago... VTI, TLT, SHY, GLD. I know many of the same people who I respected years ago on this forum are still here, so I'd like to ask a question. Have market conditions changed during my time away, which would make necessary the adjustment of my above positions? I have read about adding a TIPS ETF to protect against inflation, as well as other strategies. I want to continue to keep it simple, however, and stick with the 25x4 method which has worked in the past. Is VTI, TLT, SHY & GLD still a safe and logical way to go given the current environment? Thanks for your time and response.

Ed
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I've come home!

Post by smurff » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 pm

Welcome back. Glad to hear you did well with your "VP" and you're thinking ahead about why the HBPP is such a brilliant investment strategy.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:25 pm

escoppa wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm
Is VTI, TLT, SHY & GLD still a safe and logical way to go given the current environment? Thanks for your time and response.
Personally, I would hold physical gold with some offshore. Otherwise looks good.
Was there any metric you were tracking that prompted you to be more cautious? p/e etc
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.14.40 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.14.40 am.png (275.24 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
escoppa

Post by escoppa » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you. I do have physical metals so I’ve got that covered. There wasn’t a tangible metric. I just listen to people who are much smarter and more plugged in than me. Glad to hear the classic ETF picks are still valid!
HarryOgden

Post by HarryOgden » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Welcome back! Good luck with your strategy. I also returned to this field not so long ago!