Mathjak! Beyond The 4% Rule

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mathjak! Beyond The 4% Rule

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:49 pm

From reading a lot of what Mathjak has written regarding retirement withdrawals I expect him to voice an opinion regarding the below.

Vinny

Beyond The 4% Rule

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/beyond-the- ... 44535.html

Bill Bengen himself, the author of the rule, has said on occasion that there are a variety of numbers that could work depending on when you retire. The 4% rule assumes you can take a safe annual withdrawal of 4% and then can adjust for inflation. He has adjusted that rule and called it SAFEMAX, 4.5%, when the allocation includes small-caps, and the rule was designed to cover the worst 30-year retirement periods, especially the era of high inflation that started in 1968.

What the Brightworth team found intriguing was what happened when the retirees took withdrawals monthly or quarterly, as most do, instead of taking the annual lump. Doing it that way often allowed the investors to take out 20 extra basis points a year. “So instead of 4% it might be more like 4.2%,” Wood says. “It might not sound like much, but that’s 5% more in spending,” he says. “So it could mean an extra vacation or a nicer car. Giving more to charity or something like that.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mathjak! Beyond The 4% Rule

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 am

Meh ...

The 4% draw is really only good for figuring out the first year ..after that in real time draws vary ..some years are way over , some are under , it is just the way life works .

Sticking with a 4% inflation adjusted draw will likely leave way to much unspent and not enjoyed .

So I use bob clyatts method based on actual yearly balances ...so I do what’s easiest and that is fill up the checking account once a year .

90% of the time 4% left you with more than you started ..67% of the time it left you with 2x what you started

So trying to squeeze a bigger draw out of 4% by manipulating how you set the money up for drawing upon seems like an exercise in futility when the draws can be so much higher and even safer using other methods of draw.

Draws can go as high as 6% if you just missed the likes of 1965/1966 which is the worst time frame for starting out on record so sticking with a 4% inflation adjusted draw like a robot is not only unrealistic but silly
masnugraha

Post by masnugraha » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:54 am

Interesting article because I as a building contractor want to find the right formula for retirement money. :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:30 am

This reminds me what I noticed yesterday......that Mathjak is another one who has now been missing from here for awhile.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:30 am
This reminds me what I noticed yesterday......that Mathjak is another one who has now been missing from here for awhile.

True, it's getting out of control :o . Guys like me (daily readers) suffer a lot. Especially as being someone that does not give a **** about both Trump and Biden.

If you leave we can ask for someone to switch off the host :D
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:02 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 am
Meh ...

The 4% draw is really only good for figuring out the first year ..after that in real time draws vary ..some years are way over , some are under , it is just the way life works .

Sticking with a 4% inflation adjusted draw will likely leave way to much unspent and not enjoyed .

So I use bob clyatts method based on actual yearly balances ...so I do what’s easiest and that is fill up the checking account once a year .

90% of the time 4% left you with more than you started ..67% of the time it left you with 2x what you started

So trying to squeeze a bigger draw out of 4% by manipulating how you set the money up for drawing upon seems like an exercise in futility when the draws can be so much higher and even safer using other methods of draw.

Draws can go as high as 6% if you just missed the likes of 1965/1966 which is the worst time frame for starting out on record so sticking with a 4% inflation adjusted draw like a robot is not only unrealistic but silly
Mathjak - do you have any tax planning and SSA mixed in with the withdraw rates? I hate the idea of jumping into a higher tax bracket but the thought of not enjoying a future life to the fullest based on not wanting to pay an extra 10% in taxes sucks as well.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:33 am

Vil wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 am
vnatale wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:30 am

True, it's getting out of control :o . Guys like me (daily readers) suffer a lot. Especially as being someone that does not give a **** about both Trump and Biden.
It's getting a little better. If one avoids the political section and is very careful in the other section the actual investing parts of the board seems to be getting back to better quality/normality.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Has anyone tried to contact Mathjak to see if he's okay?
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Mathjak, are you okay?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:37 pm

I have not. But a private message might be slightly more effective...
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Well, a few of us asked him to stop posting the same objections to the PP over and over and over. Apparently he didn't like that, and left completely. I wouldn't expect that there is any more to it than that.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm

It looks like his last posts (several of them in one morning) were to the "mathjak's daytrading adventures" thread, and they don't appear to reflect any dissatisfaction. He just seems to have dropped off the map. I hope everything is okay.