Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin as a complement or alternative to gold in the PP

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:13 pm

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:54 pm
whatchamacallit wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 pm
The TIME magazine market top indicator is getting very close. It isn't a cover yet but at this rate I expect bitcoin to be on the cover this year.

https://www.thestreet.com/crypto/bitcoi ... ld-bitcoin

For reference housing indicator
https://ritholtz.com/2005/06/uh-oh-time ... n-housing/
Good call on this :)
Interesting. It might as well have been the market top for bitcoin on the day I posted this. It tried to rally again later in the year but I don't think you can really say it made it back over the high of April 2021.

Like they say, even a broken clock is right two times a day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:02 pm

rogeryoung wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:53 pm

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm thinking a 1% allocation to Bitcoin in the PP isn't such a crazy idea at this point. So that would be 24% in gold and 1% in Bitcoin. This number could be revisited as the market evolves.

I had recommended a PP with a Bitcoin sidecar. Maybe its one way to look at it for PP purists.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10551&p=190611&hili ... ar#p190611

But honestly this last year has me thinking a bit more in line with your thoughts here. Gold is actually open to risk from Bitcoin.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11753&p=220276&hili ... in#p219046

One thought I just had was if you do a 24% gold, 1% bitcoin split for the gold allocation in a modified PP, perhaps you DONT rebalance the bitcoin back to 1% during rebalancing if bitcoin goes UP. Maybe you just rebalance back down to 2.5%-5% bitcoin. This way you are retaining more exposure to bitcoin as its market cap (as its a potential second/third favorite money) grows.

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Really, I can understand why an investor who shuns gold might not hold Bitcoin. They're both non-productive assets. However, anyone who holds gold is going to have a hard time arguing against Bitcoin. The arguments we make to hold gold can easily be appropriated as an argument to hold cryptocurrency. The only old chestnut left is "gold has been around for thousands of years, and Bitcoin hasn't." Yeah, well, are we really going to wait thousands of years before realizing that a regime change has taken place?

This is the reason I like to evangelize Bitcoin in this totally obscure forum. You guys are primed for Bitcoin.

I have not found any reference to LODE here. LODE is a monetary system backed by silver and gold. It creates inflation resistant and transparent financial solutions. Spend, send, save, and earn money securely. I have become interested in this new cryptocurrency and I would love to hear input from members of this forum. Information on it can be found at: REDACTED

I am always suspicious of first posts by people, especially when their first post is in response to a not recent post. However, generally those first posters have also recently joined the forum. In this case, though, this person has been around since March 2021 - 21 months ago.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:02 pm
I am always suspicious of first posts by people, especially when their first post is in response to a not recent post. However, generally those first posters have also recently joined the forum. In this case, though, this person has been around since March 2021 - 21 months ago.
Was definitely a spambot. Don't know why the account was so old: maybe the operator had trouble finding somebody to buy access.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:48 pm

Bitcoin = Gold... uh, NOT.