Vanguard Treasury Fund

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vanguard Treasury Fund

Post by vnatale »

In the midst of doing my 2020 tax planning today I just stumbled over the below. The minimum was reduced from $50,000 to $3,000 for the Vanguard Treasury Money Market fund!

Somehow that news eluded me until this afternoon. I do not recall receiving anything in the mail from Vanguard regarding it. I'm assuming no else here knew about it otherwise you have informed the rest of us?

Unfortunately, it is still not 100% Treasury Bills in spite of its name. But not that far off.

In March I'd converted whenever I could from the Federal fund to this one. Now this week I can convert the others that I could not because they could not meet the $50,000 minimum.

Vinny
V1Capture.JPG
V1Capture.JPG (43.29 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
V2Capture.JPG
V2Capture.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vanguard Treasury Fund

Post by vnatale »

This afternoon spent 41 minutes on the telephone with Vanguard to move to the Treasury Fund all the money to from what had been in the Federal Fund. I have so many retirement accounts with Vanguard it took all that time.

I moved even the ones that only had $7.89 and $13.39 in them.

Part of my campaign to have less investments overall with Vanguard.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

That's great news Vinny - thanks for the catch!

I do have 50K+ in VUSXX but it's been a real PITA to have to always have that much in the fund. It's .09%ER is by far the lowest I've found for any Treasury MM fund.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kevin K. wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:24 pm That's great news Vinny - thanks for the catch!

I do have 50K+ in VUSXX but it's been a real PITA to have to always have that much in the fund. It's .09%ER is by far the lowest I've found for any Treasury MM fund.
I did ask if we'd been notified and I was told we had. I remember getting a lot of Vanguard materials recently and all I did was take them out of the envelopes and put them in a pile. I will have to check if that notification is in that pile.

Vinny
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 pm This afternoon spent 41 minutes on the telephone with Vanguard to move to the Treasury Fund all the money to from what had been in the Federal Fund. I have so many retirement accounts with Vanguard it took all that time.

Vinny
Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to look at moving from Federal MM fund when time allows.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dieter wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:54 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 pm This afternoon spent 41 minutes on the telephone with Vanguard to move to the Treasury Fund all the money to from what had been in the Federal Fund. I have so many retirement accounts with Vanguard it took all that time.

Vinny
Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to look at moving from Federal MM fund when time allows.
If you know what you are doing it takes all of one or two minutes once you are logged in.

Vinny
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Kevin K. wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:24 pm That's great news Vinny - thanks for the catch!

The initial minimum is 50K but you can continue to hold even if the balance falls below that amount.

Imagine a scenario where a stock fund with 50K minimum falls 30%. Would VG liquidate your holdings for falling under the minimum? Hell no.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

buddtholomew wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:54 pm

The initial minimum is 50K but you can continue to hold even if the balance falls below that amount.

Imagine a scenario where a stock fund with 50K minimum falls 30%. Would VG liquidate your holdings for falling under the minimum? Hell no.
That is what it USED to be. If you go back to my original post you will see the image of the prospectus page which states the minimum has been reduced to $3,000, effective December 10, 2020.

Vinny
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:44 pm
buddtholomew wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:54 pm

That is what it USED to be. If you go back to my original post you will see the image of the prospectus page which states the minimum has been reduced to $3,000, effective December 10, 2020.

Vinny
I caught that Vinny; just commenting on other funds with varying minimum balances for entry. Not sure what transpires if you withdraw $ and fall below the minimum versus breaching the threshold as a result of market declines. Perhaps that is why Kevin had to maintain the 50K given the low yield.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Vinny
If you know what you are doing it takes all of one or two minutes once you are logged in.

Vinny
Well, if you send time trying to set it up as your sweep account, it takes longer.... :)

(as far as I can tell, can't use it for your sweep account).

I'll have to move funds over later.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dieter wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Vinny

Vinny
Well, if you send time trying to set it up as your sweep account, it takes longer.... :)

(as far as I can tell, can't use it for your sweep account).

I'll have to move funds over later.
You are correct. You cannot use it as your sweep account. I believe that the representative told me yesterday that only the Federal Money Market Fund can be used as the settlement fund.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

The reduction of treasuries to 88% is a bit worrying though, if you're using it as a convenient alternative to T bills.

Fidelity's Treasury MM (FDLXX) remains 100% Treasuries, but it's now closed to new investors. Glad I have it. The 0.42% ER is still listed, but the 7 day yield is still 0.01%. with Fidelity's subsidy. It would be -0.29% without the subsidy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sophie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am The reduction of treasuries to 88% is a bit worrying though, if you're using it as a convenient alternative to T bills.

Fidelity's Treasury MM (FDLXX) remains 100% Treasuries, but it's now closed to new investors. Glad I have it. The 0.42% ER is still listed, but the 7 day yield is still 0.01%. with Fidelity's subsidy. It would be -0.29% without the subsidy.
Totally agree! I wish it were 100%.

When I looked the other day I was surprised to see that the yield was 0.47% (I think). I was expecting 0.01%.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I often held 10K in the Treasury mm fund at Vanguard after holding 50K for a short while.
Nowadays, I have most of my cash in there anyway because I stopped buying notes and t-bills.

Yep, the Federal mm is the only sweep ("settlement") account. No more Prime aka Cash Reserves and no Treasury mm.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 pm I often held 10K in the Treasury mm fund at Vanguard after holding 50K for a short while.
Nowadays, I have most of my cash in there anyway because I stopped buying notes and t-bills.

Yep, the Federal mm is the only sweep ("settlement") account. No more Prime aka Cash Reserves and no Treasury mm.
Plus if you have a Vanguard SIMPLE IRA you not allowed to engage in brokerage and buy Treasury Bills. That leaves the Treasury Money Market Fund as your best option.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Interesting. I have a Roth at Vanguard.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:20 pm Interesting. I have a Roth at Vanguard.
As do I. They are allowed to also have brokerage accounts.

Vinny
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

sophie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am The reduction of treasuries to 88% is a bit worrying though, if you're using it as a convenient alternative to T bills.

VUSXX has never held 100% Treasuries but I don't see anything particularly worrisome about its stated investment parameters:

"This fund at a minimum invests 80% of the assets in debt issued directly by the government in the form of Treasury bills and may invest in other securities including, but not limited to debt issued by federal agencies that are sponsored, guaranteed, or owned by the federal government. As a government money market fund, this fund is required to invest at least 99.5% of its total assets in cash, U.S. government securities, and/or repurchase agreements that are collateralized solely by U.S. government securities or cash (collectively, government securities)."

I much prefer its .09%ER to the exponentially higher expenses at Fidelity and Schwab that are heavily (and perhaps temporarily?) subsidized by these firms to avoid negative nominal rates. Not worth a whole lot of shopping around though; heck I can get .05% at Schwab just by moving cash from my sweep account to savings @ Schwab Bank, with FDIC insurance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:05 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:38 am

Totally agree! I wish it were 100%.

When I looked the other day I was surprised to see that the yield was 0.47% (I think). I was expecting 0.01%.

Vinny
The current yield is 0.04%. The number you posted is the YTD return. Not the same. Basically the same yield as Fidelity's TMMF
That makes total sense. I was just saw it in passing and was not really looking for it.

Vinny