USD exposure in the PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

perfect_simulation

Re: USD exposure in the PP

Post by perfect_simulation »

In the 25% stock portion, Harry recommended having 3 different stock funds in case one of the funds screwed up. I see nothing wrong with applying that logic to cash as well. You could easily do a 50/50 USD CAD and rebalance as normal since you can't predict the future :D
Fredmong
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Fredmong »

Hi fellow Canadian,

To hedge or not to hedge ? I thought about this quite a bit. Looked for hours at performance charts (USDCAD vs SPY vs GLD). Wisdom says whatever you choose, keep doing it. What I mean is if you do choose to hedge, keep hedging forever because otherwise you will end up inadvertently timing the market. For the sake of simplicity I decided not to hedge and attacked the problem differently.

First off, I think Canadian investors (and any international investors) must invest in the US. It's the biggest economy in the world and it controls the world reserve currency. Like you said long stock is essentially short dollar and on different time frames when the stocks crash, usually the dollar gains strength. Which is kind of a double edged sword for us Canadians investing unhedged in US stocks. Long story short, in the end, over a long enough period, it kind of all evens out as long as USDCAD is in a tight range. That led me to the conclusion that I wouldn't hedge and that I would just diversify and ultimately rebalance if need be.

I have 2 Permanent Portfolio, one US (SPY,GLD,TLT,SHY) and one CAD (VCN,MNT,ZFL,CLF). Right now I'm about 80% US-PP and 20% CAD-PP. I am not rigid on the allocation but would probably not let them the CAD-PP get over 30%. And since gold is gold, in my view only 75% is currency exposed, I am really 60% in US denominated assets, 15% in CAD denominated assets and 25% in gold.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt »

Fredmong wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:28 pm Hi fellow Canadian,

To hedge or not to hedge ? I thought about this quite a bit. Looked for hours at performance charts (USDCAD vs SPY vs GLD). Wisdom says whatever you choose, keep doing it. What I mean is if you do choose to hedge, keep hedging forever because otherwise you will end up inadvertently timing the market. For the sake of simplicity I decided not to hedge and attacked the problem differently.

First off, I think Canadian investors (and any international investors) must invest in the US. It's the biggest economy in the world and it controls the world reserve currency. Like you said long stock is essentially short dollar and on different time frames when the stocks crash, usually the dollar gains strength. Which is kind of a double edged sword for us Canadians investing unhedged in US stocks. Long story short, in the end, over a long enough period, it kind of all evens out as long as USDCAD is in a tight range. That led me to the conclusion that I wouldn't hedge and that I would just diversify and ultimately rebalance if need be.

I have 2 Permanent Portfolio, one US (SPY,GLD,TLT,SHY) and one CAD (VCN,MNT,ZFL,CLF). Right now I'm about 80% US-PP and 20% CAD-PP. I am not rigid on the allocation but would probably not let them the CAD-PP get over 30%. And since gold is gold, in my view only 75% is currency exposed, I am really 60% in US denominated assets, 15% in CAD denominated assets and 25% in gold.
Well, if you follow HB he said to stay 100% domestic. That said maybe mixing it up a bit isn't a bad idea. IDK
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

As a US citizen I'm thinking of potentially hedging into other currencies. I am having serious doubts about the viability of my country right now and with that it's currency. Unfortunately up until now haven't explored my options. Perhaps a basket of three currencies, rebalancing according to some metric....loonies, euros, dollars or something
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

doodle wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:20 pm As a US citizen I'm thinking of potentially hedging into other currencies. I am having serious doubts about the viability of my country right now and with that it's currency. Unfortunately up until now haven't explored my options. Perhaps a basket of three currencies, rebalancing according to some metric....loonies, euros, dollars or something
That doesn't seem outrageous. Perhaps something like a 25% Bond allocation to BNDW?
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profi ... folio/bndw

Edit: Forgot about this fund -> https://www.merkfunds.com/fund/mhcf/. 1/2 of 25% Cash allocation. Other 1/2 of 25% USD
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO