Winkelvoss Capital says Bitcoin is a 10x better inflation hedge than gold

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

garya505

Re: Winkelvoss Capital says Bitcoin is a 10x better inflation hedge than gold

Post by garya505 »

I would agree that the PP could benefit from some additional diversification, especially since stock evaluations are so high and bond yields are at an all time low. However, I think bitcoin doesn't have much of a track record and I believe that it would be highly speculative to assume anything about it's long-term gains.

I think an additional asset class for the PP might include additional diversifiers like merger&arbitrage (MNA, MERFX, ARBFX, etc.) and options-based event-driven strategies (IVOL, SWAN, TAIL, etc.).

What would Harry Browne design if he were alive today? Might it take a hint from portfolios like the Golden Butterfly or Dragon portfolios that have 5 asset classes rather than just 4? What might this 5th PP asset class contain?

EDIT: I'm going to name this the PP5 portfolio.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Have not read the whole thread so apologies if it’s already been said. The Winkelvi recently said something to the effect that gold will be worthless because Elon Musk will be able to mine asteroids for unlimited amounts of gold. These guys are IMHO parasites who have extracted wealth from every host they have attached themselves to.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

ppnewbie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:03 am Have not read the whole thread so apologies if it’s already been said. The Winkelvi recently said something to the effect that gold will be worthless because Elon Musk will be able to mine asteroids for unlimited amounts of gold. These guys are IMHO parasites who have extracted wealth from every host they have attached themselves to.
Not sure what they were going for there. Trying to be edgy or whatnot. Wasn’t a good look imho.
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt »

bitcoininthevp wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:46 am
johnnywitt wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:00 pm Unlike Gold, you have to transfer back into the system with Bitcoin, whereas you can completely, pretty much anyway, accomplish the opposite with the PM's.
I dont understand why Bitcoin requires transfer back into the system while gold does not.

How does one turn BTC into dollars without cashing them into some form of currency first and going into an account of some kind? With Gold that you hold physically, as long as cash is still legal...
Hey, I'm not knocking Crypto here. I am admittedly ignorant with regard to the intricacies of this asset class.
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa »

"A video chat is more valuable than the world's biggest oil explorer and producer"

"It’s the industrial age passing power to the digital age."

https://twitter.com/woonomic/status/132 ... 94400?s=20

I don't see gold being replaced by Bitcoin soon, but the world is definitely changing to digital
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Xan, can you put this thread into the VP section? It doesn't belong in the PP forum, and I'd like to opt out of future notifications of unread posts.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Done & done
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

johnnywitt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:54 pm How does one turn BTC into dollars without cashing them into some form of currency first and going into an account of some kind? With Gold that you hold physically, as long as cash is still legal...
Hey, I'm not knocking Crypto here. I am admittedly ignorant with regard to the intricacies of this asset class.
I still dont understand.

Gold is a money like asset that you can hold and perhaps trade with, but likely will "cash out" to dollars in order to spend currently.

Bitcoin is a money like asset that you can hold and perhaps trade with, but likely will "cash out" to dollars in order to spend currently.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Whats the problem with using stocks as money. 401ks are a savings account. Overvaluation of publicly traded companies?
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt »

bitcoininthevp wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 am
johnnywitt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:54 pm How does one turn BTC into dollars without cashing them into some form of currency first and going into an account of some kind? With Gold that you hold physically, as long as cash is still legal...
I still dont understand.

Gold is a money like asset that you can hold and perhaps trade with, but likely will "cash out" to dollars in order to spend currently.

Bitcoin is a money like asset that you can hold and perhaps trade with, but likely will "cash out" to dollars in order to spend currently.
Because someone can take a gold coin into a person to person transaction for cash dollars. How does a person cash out their BTC holdings without going through 'the man' ???
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa »

johnnywitt wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:10 pm
I still dont understand.

Because someone can take a gold coin into a person to person transaction for cash dollars. How does a person cash out their BTC holdings without going through 'the man' ???
You give me cash, I send you bitcoin (from my wallet to your wallet). No "man" involved :)
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

senecaaa wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:25 am
johnnywitt wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:10 pm
I still dont understand.

You give me cash, I send you bitcoin (from my wallet to your wallet). No "man" involved :)
Correct. Not sure how it could be simpler than this or why there is confusion. I give you cash, you give me bitcoin. Happy to answer any questions of where this is tripping people up.

In fact, in person bitcoin transactions are easier than in person gold transactions as bitcoin is easier to verify than gold. Verification can be done by a simple general purpose computer/phone. Depending on what you’re buying in terms of gold, all kinds of specialized contraptions of varying cost and complexity are required.
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa »

Just in https://twitter.com/APompliano/status/1 ... 2018475010

BlackRock CIO of Fixed Income Rick Rieder talking about Bitcoin replacing gold on CNBC this morning.

Ignore at your own peril...