PP Critique

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

perfect_simulation

PP Critique

Post by perfect_simulation »

I changed to PP after the March 2020 lows due to covid19. I read Harry Browne's book and I am going along with it pretty closely but with some twists.

25% IAU (I don't have a secure location for physical)
25% EDV (longest term treasuries I can find in an etf)
25% SHV (cash / short treasury etf)
25% stocks - I picked the top 8 largest US companies (BRKB excluded because its a holding company by itself and doesn't really do anything). When I rebalance next year I'll just do the same thing - whatever the top companies are. Maybe TSLA will be in the list!

3.125% each AAPL AMZN MSFT FB GOOG JNJ V WMT

So far I am extremely happy with this PP allocation and if I had had this allocation in March I would have slept much better. :)

Last edited by perfect_simulation on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Critique

Post by I Shrugged »

I'd like a broad stock fund, but I get it. :)
Welcome and I hope you enjoy the PP.
perfect_simulation

Looks like TSLA is in the top8 now - that was quick. I'm already up on Walmart so I don't mind switching it out sooner than later. Long term I'm a little bit concerned about EDV but I take the PP as a whole and not actually worried if it starts to dip
garya505

Post by garya505 »

I'm curious, what was your reasoning for using the 8 largest companies instead of SPY or VTI?
perfect_simulation

garya505 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 pm I'm curious, what was your reasoning for using the 8 largest companies instead of SPY or VTI?
The short answer is better returns. I did quite a bit of backtesting on portfoliovisualizer.com. I think the strategy is a bit aggressive, but I want that if I'm only having 25% allocated to stocks. I think a growth ETF like VUG would be a good choice too, but top8 is even beating VUG.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

For those who have data and can backtest the right momentum screen with the right index can be extremely profitable...at the cost of more volatility.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Why top 8 as opposed to top 5 or 10?
perfect_simulation

jalanlong wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:42 pm Why top 8 as opposed to top 5 or 10?
The weighting of the stocks in SP500 really drops off after the top 10, so I just think top 8 gives the best oomph. Top 5 would hurt a little too much if one of the stocks under-performed.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

perfect_simulation wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:53 pm
jalanlong wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:42 pm Why top 8 as opposed to top 5 or 10?
The weighting of the stocks in SP500 really drops off after the top 10, so I just think top 8 gives the best oomph. Top 5 would hurt a little too much if one of the stocks under-performed.

How did you backtest it? You would have to know the top 8 stocks on Jan 1 of every year. Is that information available somewhere? I haven’t had any luck finding that data.
perfect_simulation

jalanlong wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 pm How did you backtest it? You would have to know the top 8 stocks on Jan 1 of every year. Is that information available somewhere? I haven’t had any luck finding that data.
I used portfoliovisualizer.com and yes I don't have the SP500 components for each year but I did ok googling like "sp500 companies 2008" "sp500 companies 2012"
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

perfect_simulation wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:47 pm
jalanlong wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 pm How did you backtest it? You would have to know the top 8 stocks on Jan 1 of every year. Is that information available somewhere? I haven’t had any luck finding that data.
I used portfoliovisualizer.com and yes I don't have the SP500 components for each year but I did ok googling like "sp500 companies 2008" "sp500 companies 2012"
Actually you can get those online. Just found them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ation#2017
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 »

perfect_simulation wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 am
garya505 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 pm I'm curious, what was your reasoning for using the 8 largest companies instead of SPY or VTI?
The short answer is better returns. I did quite a bit of backtesting on portfoliovisualizer.com. I think the strategy is a bit aggressive, but I want that if I'm only having 25% allocated to stocks. I think a growth ETF like VUG would be a good choice too, but top8 is even beating VUG.
Perfect_simulation,

You may want to re-think this. Historically speaking, using the top eight (or top one, or top 10, or top 100) gave you MUCH worse returns than simply using the S&P 500 as a whole. For example:

The top 1 stock vs the S&P 500: - https://ibb.co/W3Mg2XW ; almost a ten-fold difference (in favor of the S&P 500 as a whole) vs only owning the largest (i.e. highest market cap) one stock

The top 10 largest stocks in the S&P 500 vs the S&P 500 index as a whole owned via an index fund - https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 2#p5151631 ; for the last twenty years or so this gives almost a 1.5% difference per year in favor of the index as a whole.

The top 100 largest stocks (AKA the S&P 100 TR Index) vs the S&P 500 TR Index - https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us ; the actual image is at https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads ... origin.png

In all of the above cases the S&P 500 TR outperformed the narrower slice of stock/s; the outperformance of the S&P 500 became greater as the slice became narrower and higher market cap (i.e. from S&P 100 to the top ten highest market cap stocks to the top one highest market cap stock).

FWIW I also have data for the S&P 500 Reverse Cap Weighted Index TR and the S&P 500 Equal Weight TR; going back to 1-1-1997 (which is as far back as the Reverse Cap Weighted Index goes) these indices returned a CAGR of approximately 10.31% for the Reverse Cap Weighted Index; 9.11% CAGR for the Equal Weighted Index, and only around 8.74% CAGR for the regular old market-cap weighted S&P 500 TR (and keep in mind that this is including the most recent three years; these years--2018, 2019, and 2020 YTD--are years where the cap-weighted index has had the relatively best performance vs the other two indexes in over two decades; if you went back to December 2017 the cap-weighted index would've done even worse relative to the other two indexes). The above shows a continuation of the trend demonstrated above (i.e. the greater your weight to larger/higher market cap stocks the worse your long-term performance).

Large-cap growth stocks have really only seriously outperformed since maybe mid-2014 or early 2015. Any PV backtest that doesn't go back beyond this is a textbook example of what stock market researchers call "recency bias". With that said, perhaps this time really IS different. Maybe the megacap MAGFANNT market darlings will continue to outperform for the next five or ten years. Who knows? The historical record is against that happening, though, and if it in fact doesn't happen, your PP variation will do much worse than a standard PP.

if you truly want to "juice" the PP's stock portion, try allocating some of it towards ETFs whose underlying factors will likely outperform over the long and very long term.....ETFs like RPV, MTUM, RSP (or RVRS), SPLV (or XRLV or USMV), or maybe a small cap value ETF/mutual fund, with perhaps a few percent (out of the 25% stock allocation total) in TQQQ or UPRO so that if the megacap high-multiple large growth stocks do well you still don't miss out on all the action but if they don't then you haven't totally screwed yourself either.
perfect_simulation

D1984 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:36 am Perfect_simulation,

You may want to re-think this.

Lots of information in that thread, thanks for sharing. Someone in there confirmed this strategy has been great since 2009, but clearly it didn't work too well in the early 2000s. I'll have to reconsider, but I'm doing so well right now I don't want to touch anything.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Well in a market like this, everyone is a genius!
:D