Stumbled on this book

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stumbled on this book

Post by mathjak107 »

This free book showed up in my google news .

It is called the weird portfolio......it is the butterfly but instead of large caps it uses reits and international small caps .

He seems to know Tyler

https://medium.com/@valuestockgeek/the- ... c0154d1c4a
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stumbled on this book

Post by Kevin K. »

Interesting book - thanks very much for sharing!

His recommended allocation: "US small value, international small, real estate, long term treasuries, and gold. Equally weighted, 20% in each asset class, re-balanced every year."

Needless to say, he does maintain an emergency fund outside of the portfolio (and given the volatile nature of all the assets I hope it's a substantial one). Thoughtful guy though. It strikes me as kind of a hybrid or mashup of the GB with the Larry (Swedroe) portfolio.

I really have to wonder though how many people could live with this level of tracking error for decades at a time. Hard enough with the PP which has 25% in a plain vanilla total US stock market index fund. But hey, fresh thinking is always welcome and it's nice to see someone taking the work Tyler has done as an inspiration for trying out new things.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

I don't know Value Stock Geek personally, but we've talked about portfolio stuff and I really respect his perspective. For reference, his specialty is baked into his name as he's a value stock picker at his core. But somewhere along the line he embraced the permanent/variable portfolio concept where he indexes a portion of his money in order to feel comfortable taking chances actively managing the rest. He's a smart dude and IMO an excellent example for how to wisely manage investments.

For a shorter sample of his work, I also like this post from a few months ago: https://valuestockgeek.com/2020/04/01/r ... al-reward/
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

Thanks Tyler for the link and the helpful perspective.

I can see I have much more to learn about value stock investing. I thought I knew a little about it after following Warren Buffett and Wellesley for years and it turns out I was right: I know a LITTLE (as in next-to-nothing).

I’m going to reread Value Stock Geek’s book slowly and carefully.