Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Knuckleheads PP thread resurrected

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm
jhogue wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm
Bernstein should have been telling his audience that financial success means not running with the herd.
Actually, running with the heard is a pretty good investment strategy in aggregate. One cannot simultaneously believe in cap-weighted index funds and not believe in running with the heard. It's inconsistent. Mr. Market is usually pretty freaking smart. There are some pretty big misses from time to time, and that is where a small select group who can see what the crowd does not see gets very rich (or a few got really lucky at a big guess).

Allocation is really more about risk and financial success is more about hard work, good saving habits, financial planning and not having overly destructive cognitive biases.

Meb Faber wrote a great book several years back about the long term performance of various popular portfolios and you can see it on Tyler's risk and returns chart...take a look at roughly the 3.75% real line...pretty much everything gets you to the same place with some having a smoother ride than others.
He has since come out with another book.

Meb Faber Uncovers, Again, the Best Investment Writing

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2018/08/29 ... from-famo/

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Knuckleheads PP thread resurrected

Post by Hal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm
He has since come out with another book.

Meb Faber Uncovers, Again, the Best Investment Writing

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2018/08/29 ... from-famo/

Vinny
+1
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 1.08.47 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 1.08.47 pm.png (53.67 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO