Who's had to rebalance?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Matthew19

Who's had to rebalance?

Post by Matthew19 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I'm getting close on the stock side. about 17% right now. Anyone hit a band yet?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who's had to rebalance?

Post by stuper1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm not running a pure PP. My portfolio is closer to a GB, and a few of the 5/25 bands were breached already. I did some rebalancing in the last few days to lock in some TLT/EDV gains and buy some stocks on sale, being careful to watch the bid/ask spread and to sell on up days and buy on down days. At the same time, I did a little rejiggering to get over $50k in cash in one Roth account, so that I could put it in Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund, per the recommendation of someone on this forum (I forget who). I also moved some short-term treasuries out of one account and into cash at my bank, per someone else's recommendation (again I forget who), just in case things get weird at the brokerages, so I can have some cash closer by. I also upped my stash of physical cash at home a bit in case things get really weird.

I definitely feel better prepared to keep my family financially safe based on a lot of good advice from the smart people on this forum.
Ugly_Bird

Post by Ugly_Bird » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Matthew19 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 pm
I'm getting close on the stock side. about 17% right now. Anyone hit a band yet?
Not yet, but probably close to 17%, will know tonight
15/35 4x25 HBPP
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 pm

I've been looking to transfer from PP to GB for a while now. It may be time to start that process while rebalancing.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:39 pm

A little on Friday from cash to stocks in my 403(b).

Debating when to do more, as I think I'm at our house to LTT / Gold bands.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm very close to crossing bands both on the low side (small caps) and high side (bonds). Still not quite ready to pull the trigger though. Just naturally hesitant about any big financial moves.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm close to selling gold and buying stocks.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

I rebalanced about a week ago I think. However this was because I was using 20%/30% bands.
Combining factors in a portfolio: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/03/26/the-best-way-to-combine-value-and-momentum-investing-strategies/
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Matthew19 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 pm
I've been looking to transfer from PP to GB for a while now. It may be time to start that process while rebalancing.
I've moved in the opposite direction here - not that I have a crystal ball. But the GB tilts towards prosperity and that sure doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon. Not selling any stocks at this point but using the 4 x 25% asset class and 15/35 PP rebalancing bands. I'd probably be braver if I were still working or had any prospects of bringing in income to replenish the portfolio.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm doing a gradual rebalance of my GB, trying to take advantage of opportunities as things fluctuate.

I have some LTTs that should be replaced next year, but when they popped up 2 weeks ago I sold 1/3 of that position. That brought LTTs to the target allocation of 20%.

I have some extra cash to deploy, so I'm spreading out my purchases of stocks on big down days. I accept that I am not talented or lucky enough to time the exact bottom so I'm okay with buying on the way down and probably back up the other side too. I'm just trying to keep stocks (SCV in particular) up off the lower rebalancing band at this point.

I'm overweight gold but short of my rebalancing band so I'm letting that ride.

I don't usually do things this way but everything is just batshit crazy right now. Ordinarily I would go ahead and rebalance all at once. I typically just track YTD performance and I'm down about 10% which doesn't seem horrible, all things considered.
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Rebalanced several days ago and gyroscope is working nicely again. No worries.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:33 pm

I rebalanced some bonds into stocks. Gold is getting up there as well, but I'm not going to rebalance out of gold at this time. I'm way too bullish on gold long term to sell any.