Market Cap Investing is the Ultimate Form of Value Investing?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Market Cap Investing is the Ultimate Form of Value Investing?

Post by Smith1776 »

Just a quick thought for you guys.

When it comes to the stock portion of our allocations, it seems to me that total market indices are generally the cheapest way to own diversified portfolios. They've got: fewer administrative costs which result in lower MERs; low turnover; incredible tax efficiency; tons of scale; high liquidity; and don't require any personal time to manage.

We often think of value investing as either trying to buy undervalued issues or simply getting exposure to the value factor.

However, I often like to think that total market indexing is the ultimate expression of the idea of value, because you're paying the lowest possible price to get the aggregate market return. All other expressions of the value idea require higher turnover, costs of analysis, time spent, higher MERs, lower tax efficiency, etc.

The total market index, despite just blindly buying everything at the open price, may in fact be the most potent form of the Grahamian idea of value.
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Market Cap Investing is the Ultimate Form of Value Investing?

Post by boglerdude »

Sure, but capweight is no fun. If you dont argue about the value factor, you might have to go out and do real science.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Market Cap Investing is the Ultimate Form of Value Investing?

Post by Smith1776 »

boglerdude wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:43 am Sure, but capweight is no fun. If you dont argue about the value factor, you might have to go out and do real science.
And that lack of real things to do in finance is one of the reasons why I quit the industry.

Following in Craig's footsteps into technology!
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞