Question about PP vs 100% cash

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Question about PP vs 100% cash

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:32 pm

No. The point is do ALL three and you'd be even MORE way ahead...Doing ALL three also speaks to an overall mindset. I'll bet that it's much more difficult for the Starbucks person to commit to the first two. The Starbucks lifestyle probably includes buying more house and car than you need.

Vinny
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm
You missed the point ...save 300-500 a month on housing and 200-300 a month on a car and you can have all the starbucks you want along with a Starbucks goodie and you will still be way way ahead
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 am

it is always best to do all 3 . but i would never deprive myself of things that i like if i was doing fine overall .

i have been an investor since i am in my teens , i am 67 now ...

never have i deprived myself eating out or buying coffee almost daily . rather i attacked it from the investing side . both making sure i maximized my investing and always had at least some money to invest .

i have bought a new car every 4-5 years since 1974 ... that is my thing . that is what i enjoy ... .. rather i set investing goals , and when those goals are met i get to do as i like .. not every penny has to be squirreled away and in fact if i had to do that i would have found found life pretty pathetic

if i needed more income i created more income by doing more things to produce more income .

that has been my story for 40 years now . today we are comfortably retired in nyc .

i grew up in a nyc housing project , so never returning to one has been a life long goal ... that was my motivation .... but i was not going to live the bare minimum spending life i lived growing up along the way , that was a given .
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:58 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:32 pm
No. The point is do ALL three and you'd be even MORE way ahead...Doing ALL three also speaks to an overall mindset. I'll bet that it's much more difficult for the Starbucks person to commit to the first two. The Starbucks lifestyle probably includes buying more house and car than you need.

Vinny
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm
You missed the point ...save 300-500 a month on housing and 200-300 a month on a car and you can have all the starbucks you want along with a Starbucks goodie and you will still be way way ahead
I agree. To me I see it as part of a lifestyle. What I ran into is not missing the newer cars/house/starbucks as my life progresses.
So now I can afford to go out to eat more, but I just don't seem to go.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯