How many brokerage firms are you using?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How many brokerage firms are you using?

Post by Tortoise »

vnatale wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 pm
Tortoise wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm

So mostly I invest through Vanguard, with smaller amounts at a couple of other brokerages where my employer 401(k)s are. Ideally it would all be at Vanguard for simplicity.
A few ways to interpret that...

1) You just happened to end up with Vanguard but you are quite happy with Vanguard and understandably would like to eliminate the smaller accounts with other brokerages.

2) You are quite aware of all the other brokerage possibilities, e.g., Fidelity and there is nothing regarding them that would entire you to switch. If I could offer you the possibility to just magically, immediately switch all or part of your Vanguard holdings to somewhere else you'd not do so.

Vinny
Probably #2.

Vanguard was the first company I ever invested with. My dad helped me open an IRA there when I was a teenager and taught me the power of compound interest and of starting to invest at a young age.

In my mid-20s, I read Bogle’s books on mutual funds and became a big fan of Bogle’s philosophy and of Vanguard’s investor-owned model. And I’ve remained a Vanguard fan since then. They’ve strayed a bit since Bogle left, but they still seem more focused on core values and simplicity than most of their competitors.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Only 1. I am using M1 Finance because of their "pie" system and fractional shares. I don't want to go back to a regular brokerage where I have to place individual orders for each ETF. The downside is they don't offer individual bonds so I have to be satisfied with ETFs for the bond portions.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kiplinger just published their latest annual online brokers rankings...It's a quite comprehensive article. Note: Both Vanguard and T. Rowe Price declined to participate.

Fidelity was ranked #1.

Vinny

Best Online Brokers, 2021

With new traders flocking to the market, can firms keep up? We test how well they serve clients of all stripes.

https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/wea ... okers-2021

FIDELITY:

Overall score: 91.8
Commissions and fees: 2nd
Investment choices: 1st
Mobile app: 2nd
Advisory services: 1st
Tools: 1st
Research: 3rd
Customer service: 8th
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."