Read the Permanent Portfoilio Bible?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale

Read the Permanent Portfoilio Bible?

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Curious as to how many of you have read Craig and Tex's book, which I refer to as the Permanent Portfolio Bible.

I first read it quickly. Then I read it more slowly in a studying fashion. And, since then I have gone back to reread selected portions of it. Not the parts that convince you do it since I've been long convinced of that. But the parts of all the mechanics of actually implementing it.

And, I'm viewing my participation here as similar to a Bible study to both reinforce what is in the book plus to clear up some items that may not have been so clear to me.

Thanks to all of you who have provided great, valuable information that has gone a long way in making a lot much clearer.
jacksonm2

Re: Read the Permanent Portfoilio Bible?

Post by jacksonm2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:12 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm
Curious as to how many of you have read Craig and Tex's book, which I refer to as the Permanent Portfolio Bible.

I first read it quickly. Then I read it more slowly in a studying fashion. And, since then I have gone back to reread selected portions of it. Not the parts that convince you do it since I've been long convinced of that. But the parts of all the mechanics of actually implementing it.

And, I'm viewing my participation here as similar to a Bible study to both reinforce what is in the book plus to clear up some items that may not have been so clear to me.

Thanks to all of you who have provided great, valuable information that has gone a long way in making a lot much clearer.
A lot of us here would probably consider Harry Browne's "Fail Safe Investing" to be the PP Bible and I belong to that group. Craig and MT's book came along later and only served to re-enforce and confirm what we had already learned from HB.
vnatale

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I did read that before reading Craig and Tex's book. And, then read it again. I also read Harry Browne's huge book that came out in 1988 and was astounded that 90% of it was still relevant. Made me wish I had read it in 1988 and followed it starting then!

But I thought that Craig and Tex's book was an excellent follow up to Fail Safe Investing. It was a great update and was far more detailed and proscriptive for someone who likes everything spelled out rather than having to read between the lines and guessing how to best make application.

Vinny
jacksonm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:12 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm

A lot of us here would probably consider Harry Browne's "Fail Safe Investing" to be the PP Bible and I belong to that group. Craig and MT's book came along later and only served to re-enforce and confirm what we had already learned from HB.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 pm

I read, Fail-Safe, Best Laid Plans and Craig & MedTex’s book. I appreciate all three of them. I reread Best Laid Plans the most often, simply because I have the hardcover. The other two I have in Kindle form, so I tend to do more searching.

When i was first getting started,~2010, my favorite material was the radio archives, mp3’s of Harry’s ‘The Money Show’.

If the above books constitute the pp bible, this forum is the Talmud. Constant debate and interpretation of scripture. It’s the best.
Good morning, Tyler, et al, it's 52F in Austin, going up to 80º by 3pm; Dallas high of 74º. Have a swell day.
Heat-seeking drone finds missing 6-year-old Minnesota boy in cornfield (No, not a missile)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:14 pm

To me, Best Laid Plans is the best of them.
europeanwizard

Post by europeanwizard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 am

Never actually read HB's book, just Craig & Lawson's book. And like OP, re-read it again.
vnatale

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 am

I have also been listening to "The Money Show"!

And, initially I was going to make the same analogy that you did regarding this forum being like the Talmud but not being Jewish I did not want to mangle it with my limited understanding of it!

Vinny
dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 pm
I read, Fail-Safe, Best Laid Plans and Craig & MedTex’s book. I appreciate all three of them. I reread Best Laid Plans the most often, simply because I have the hardcover. The other two I have in Kindle form, so I tend to do more searching.

When i was first getting started,~2010, my favorite material was the radio archives, mp3’s of Harry’s ‘The Money Show’.

If the above books constitute the pp bible, this forum is the Talmud. Constant debate and interpretation of scripture. It’s the best.