The Lively HSA

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Lively HSA

Post by sophie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 pm

As a public service announcement: DBA is not a substitute for gold.

Two of the three funds I hold at TD Ameritrade are not commission free (VTI and IAU). I trade rarely enough in the HSA that I don't worry too much about this - except it does make me less likely to want to split up new contributions into the 4 allocations; I'm choosing to buy the lagging asset instead so I only have to pay one fee instead of 3.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm

sophie wrote:As a public service announcement: DBA is not a substitute for gold.

Two of the three funds I hold at TD Ameritrade are not commission free (VTI and IAU). I trade rarely enough in the HSA that I don't worry too much about this - except it does make me less likely to want to split up new contributions into the 4 allocations; I'm choosing to buy the lagging asset instead so I only have to pay one fee instead of 3.
I understand it not being gold, it just seems like an interesting asset class. Crops are bountiful because of a multiyear string of good weather, and required energy inputs are cheap. Those conditions won't last forever.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:49 pm

ochotona wrote:The US government just lowered the 2018 HSA contribution limit by $50, because of chained CPI. Don't contribute as much as you thought you could, or else you will face a penalty.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/ ... limit.aspx
This only applies to family limits; the individual limit remains unchanged.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Anyone else have problems with the rollover? The TDAmeritrade went quickly, but Lively has asked twice for the cash account money and it still has not been sent. >:(
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 am

My DiscoverBenefits old HSA came over within two weeks. You might have to use the source custodian's forms, not Lively's forms. I had to do that.

I am now waiting for my final $600 to move over.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 am

My HSA Bank cash account funds came through last week. If you're also with HSA Bank you might want to call them. You started this before I did and it seems odd that yours is still held up - something must be wrong.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am

I did an online chat with HSA bank this morning. She says the funds will be transferring 'soon'. It has been 2 days short of 6 weeks since the request, and she said it can take up to 6 weeks to complete.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Money is sticky isn't it.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Old HSA to Lively in 10 days.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

Lively sent out an email yesterday announcing a brilliant but maybe questionable HSA "hack": if you are under age 26 and covered under your parents' high deductible family plan but not a dependent on your parents' tax return, you can make the full family contribution to your own HSA. It seems the HSA criteria don't include any test to guarantee one HSA per HDHP; all HDHP covered members, according to Lively, can contribute to their own HSA as long as they meet the letter of the IRS's list of 4 tests.

This seems unlikely to stand a real test from the IRS. Not to mention that I don't really want them to be drawing attention to HSAs, which as it is are almost too good to be left intact in future budget negotiations.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:21 am

I found a ultrashort bond ETF on the TD Ameritrade side of Lively HSA that I am going to stick new money into until I rebalance. It's iShares floating rate bonds, symbol FLOT. The dividend is 1.54%, which will adjust upward as the Fed tightens, and the share price is much more stable than regular bonds.

It trades commission free if you hold it for more than 30 days at TD.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:08 am

Nice, thanks ochotona!

Gives me a bit of incentive to tackle the periodic Optum to Lively transfer (my employer uses Optum). Has anyone tried this yet? I remember someone else's employer uses Optum.