Search found 1091 matches

by glennds
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:54 pm
Forum: Permanent Portfolio Discussion
Topic: Are most people here sticking with Treasuries?
Replies: 215
Views: 13664

Re: Are most people here sticking with Treasuries?

You used the term "value destruction". How about someone trying to buy a house now (as is the person temporarily living with me) after this tremendous run up in prices? Vinny, I was using "value destruction" more in terms of commercial real estate which is primarily valued by cap rate. So let's tak...
by glennds
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 pm
Forum: Permanent Portfolio Discussion
Topic: Are most people here sticking with Treasuries?
Replies: 215
Views: 13664

Re: Are most people here sticking with Treasuries?

In this case, I felt like the foresight was close to 20/20. I am very stressed. I have little income beyond my investment income. If things don't turn around soon I'm going to have to slash my expenses, possibly sell my house, etc. This is getting ugly. Just be patient and let's see where things en...
by glennds
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:36 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: No surprise!
Replies: 8
Views: 213

Re: No surprise!

Comparing either party's history to their current versions is more than not useful, it's downright misleading. Whenever I hear someone refer to the GOP as the party of Lincoln, I think of Khalil Gibran, who wrote: Upon a day Beauty and Ugliness met on the shore of a sea. And they said to one another...
by glennds
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

The Lincoln book was all I saw on the Civil War, and I think that’s the one that glennds was asking about. Vinny, I appreciate that you're an avid reader and that you share passages that were particularly thought provoking to you. If you were to indicate the name/author of the book at the beginning...
by glennds
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:25 am
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

The Lincoln book was all I saw on the Civil War, and I think that’s the one that glennds was asking about. Vinny, I appreciate that you're an avid reader and that you share passages that were particularly thought provoking to you. If you were to indicate the name/author of the book at the beginning...
by glennds
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:35 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

But thanks again for recommending such an excellent book. It is one of those books for me that I don't have to even finish reading its first page before deciding it is going to be an "A" class book. Vinny, for those of us that can't find it buried in this or the pre-split off thread, what's the nam...
by glennds
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:54 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

It's pretty clear that slavery was the primary driver of the first batch of states to secede. But can you say that about the second batch? The ones that left AFTER Lincoln raised an army to go invade their neighbors? So you can say that slavery was the reason for the first secession (and we should ...
by glennds
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

It's pretty clear that slavery was the primary driver of the first batch of states to secede. But can you say that about the second batch? The ones that left AFTER Lincoln raised an army to go invade their neighbors? So you can say that slavery was the reason for the first secession (and we should ...
by glennds
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:06 am
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Scarce and high priced energy in Europe
Replies: 87
Views: 2225

Re: Scarce and high priced energy in Europe

Can you elaborate? What I recall was that he was one of a small number of voices saying "this guy has a chance to win, and people don't see it because they're watching a different movie, interpreting the same events very differently". Seemed pretty insightful both at the time and in hindsight. Yeah...
by glennds
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:49 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

Never heard of the documentary until reading about you describing it. From what you remember of it ... how does it fit with the following: "A careful study of the informational sources and the works of the most respected historians of the conflict demonstrates some important truths: that the United...
by glennds
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:16 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

Sounds like Ken Burns’ documentary that was on last night. I was just telling a friend yesterday I'd never watch another Ken Burns documentary again. His baseball one from 30 years ago was so filled with inaccuracies that I could never trust any of his later documentaries. I'd rather read accurate ...
by glennds
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure
Replies: 55
Views: 967

Re: Vinny’s Mexican Adventure

Should nations adhere to a moral code and social contracts of behavior? We (I) think that they should and that they do is a sign of progressing as a species. However, what were the moral codes and contracts of behavior in the 1600, 1700s, 1800s and early 1900s? Kbg, Perhaps another angle to conside...
by glennds
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:26 pm
Forum: Gold
Topic: Gold will rise when Fed stops raising interest rates?
Replies: 49
Views: 1421

Re: Gold will rise when Fed stops raising interest rates?

Data wise, and academically there is zero proof gold provides anything more than the equivalent allocation in bonds...sometimes more, most of the time less. The only thing you can say is gold always is more volatile than bonds. Whether one includes or excludes the 1970s for US-based gold returns is...
by glennds
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:40 am
Forum: Gold
Topic: Gold will rise when Fed stops raising interest rates?
Replies: 49
Views: 1421

Re: Gold will rise when Fed stops raising interest rates?

But after the Fed stops raising rates, if inflation continues, gold should do very well. It seems fairly likely that the Fed will keep raising rates and when we go into a deeper recession, their hands will be tied where they won't want to raise rates anymore because the economy is struggling. Yet h...
by glennds
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 am
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:05 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:34 pm
If Jamón Serrano doesn't make you see Jesus ... well there is no savior.
I saw Jesus.

He was wearing a dark blue turtleneck.
Was he standing there with Ramon Serrano?
by glennds
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:07 pm
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

But the "experts" and the government told us it was okay. Exactly. The FDA food pyramid may have been more lethal than any pandemic! Bringing it back to Trump, he doesn't drink, so there's that. ;) I'll give him a point for that. I seem to recall a letter from his doctor declaring him the healthies...
by glennds
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

Joypog, There have been extensive discussions on this board about the subject of nutrition, calories, paleo, primal, intermittent fasting, collagen, blue zones, vegan/vegetarian vs carnivore, insulin, glucagon, on and on. There are some knowledgeable people here, or there were at one time. Maybe a s...
by glennds
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Putin Invades Ukraine II
Replies: 581
Views: 41096

Re: Putin Invades Ukraine II

There are some very interesting things to watch. One of which is what changing sentiment if any, might be going on within Russia, if not with the recent Ukrainian gains, then at least with the continuing passage of time. Hasn't history shown us over and over that protracted fighting = loss of stomac...
by glennds
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

Both told me that the key to losing weight is not exercise (though that is great for your body overall) but what you eat and how much you eat. Really a totally simple equation. All comes down to caloric intake. Unless you are some kind of fanatical physical person physical activity does not use up ...
by glennds
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:17 pm
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

pugchief wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:59 am
Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:33 am
Dean Martin

The Drinking Man's Diet
What kept Dean thin was probably the cigarettes, not the booze. :D
Jokes aside, the fact that he lived at a time before the food industrial complex was chemically polluting our food supply might have also been a factor.
by glennds
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:31 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.
Replies: 138
Views: 3755

Re: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

Finally...as Shelby Foote said in the Ken Burn's Civil War series: "Before the war, it was said "the United States are." Grammatically, it was spoken that way and thought of as a collection of independent states. And after the war, it was always "the United States is," as we say to day without bein...
by glennds
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm
Forum: Other Discussions
Topic: Alcohol and Nutrition
Replies: 36
Views: 413

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

I'm just allergic to that stuff. A quarter cup of beer will get me super-fun-drunk for half an hour before the rest of the night is obliterated with a pounding headache. I think I may have one foot in your boat. Beer doesn't give me much trouble, but some red wines will do exactly what you're descr...
by glennds
Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:22 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.
Replies: 138
Views: 3755

Re: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

. Any resident historians here know whether migration trends like that were going on in the lead up to the Civil War? Vinny? Oh man I’m offended I didn’t get the nod here. ;) Large migrations historically are associated with conflict both ways. Both ways meaning conflict causes migration and migrat...
by glennds
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:00 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.
Replies: 138
Views: 3755

Re: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

That logic is like: I'm shot in the leg and bleeding, but I shouldn't complain bc the guy lying on the ground next to me is shot in the stomach and probably going to die a long painful death. And the striking is another reason to hate unions. Regular folks just get another job with a different empl...
by glennds
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:28 pm
Forum: Politics
Topic: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.
Replies: 138
Views: 3755

Re: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

That logic is like: I'm shot in the leg and bleeding, but I shouldn't complain bc the guy lying on the ground next to me is shot in the stomach and probably going to die a long painful death. And the striking is another reason to hate unions. Regular folks just get another job with a different empl...